• Quick Navigation
Photo

Interviewing chefs - what are the standards?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dave4444

dave4444

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 08 February 2020 - 03:09 AM

Hi everyone

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to submit this topic. I live in Melbourne, Australia and I am a safety advisor at a restaurant. I am in the process of assisting my organisation to open a new restaurant. They asked me this week if they are able to ask a chef to make them a meal and include it in the interview process. I asked them what they did in the Past as I am new to the organisation and their response was they weren’t aware of any consistent interview methods however they have the feeling the managers are making the applicants cook during the 2nd stage of the interview. I can understand that this is the correct method as the chefs require a skills test before they can get the job but it also is concerning what if the applicant sustains an injury.

The questions is if an organisation is liable for a claim if an applicant sustains an injury while cooking or performing skills test during the interview process?

Thanks everyone

#2 Charles.C

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 17,385 posts
  • 4840 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 February 2020 - 04:10 AM

Hi everyone

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct place to submit this topic. I live in Melbourne, Australia and I am a safety advisor at a restaurant. I am in the process of assisting my organisation to open a new restaurant. They asked me this week if they are able to ask a chef to make them a meal and include it in the interview process. I asked them what they did in the Past as I am new to the organisation and their response was they weren’t aware of any consistent interview methods however they have the feeling the managers are making the applicants cook during the 2nd stage of the interview. I can understand that this is the correct method as the chefs require a skills test before they can get the job but it also is concerning what if the applicant sustains an injury.

The questions is if an organisation is liable for a claim if an applicant sustains an injury while cooking or performing skills test during the interview process?

Thanks everyone

Hi dave,

I suggest you consult yr local legal representative.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

#3 dave4444

dave4444

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 08 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for your message Charles. I will have a chat with our legal department

#4 SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,089 posts
  • 788 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Truth is like a delicious slice of watermelon... you just want more and more!

Posted 09 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

Of course you are liable, your location, your kitchen, etc.

I remember being interviewed for a roundsman chef position - they asked me to prepare a meal for four people from aps to salad to entree to dessert from what was available in the kitchen.

I did and added a bottle of the Hilton branded champagne to toast after I got the position.

It tasted great!

Kind regards,

Glenn Oster

GOC GROUP / +1.772.646.4115 / Food - Food Packaging - Food Storage/DC

SQF, BRC & IFS System Development, Implementation & Certification Consultants

Serving Small-to-Mid-Size Businesses | Now accepting: BTC, XRP, ETH, DAI, USDCoin & LTC

Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant | FSVP | United States - Panama - Costa Rica

http://www.GlennOsterConsulting.com  -- 

Please consider making a donation to Oster Missions. We are collecting monies to 

assist a recently widowed American citizen residing in Panama who just lost her husband.

Please see the GOC NEWS SECTION of our main page for Card and Crypto-Donations

Oster Missions is a 501c3 US Registered Charity Organization.

http://www.glennosterconsulting.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate