• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can the FSSC 22000 packaging material manufacturing plant, certify a particular area, instead of the whole plant?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

hochinwai

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:11 AM

Good day all,

I would like to ask, can the FSSC 22000 packaging material manufacturing plant, go for certification scope with just for certain area instead of the whole processing plant?

30% of the plant is doing food related packaging materials, while 70% is doing non-food.

However, the company would like to take 15% of the plant go for FSSC 22000 certification, as only one of the food clients request for FSSC 22000 certification. The remaining parts of will not be certified for food packaging.

Can this situation be accepted?

Thanks in advanced!

sel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:18 AM

In my opinion, because I work in a packaging manufacturing better to take certification for all processes. At our place, we take certification for all processes even for non-food packaging.

The certification process will only take the process for food packaging.

But if your company has already decided then you can take certification only in that scope.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

What is the reasoning behind not wanting to include the whole facility, if I may ask? I believe you can specify a product / products to be included in the scope but you'll have to consider all aspects of the manufacture of all products: Receiving, materials storage, material handling, manufacturing processes, finished goods storage and shipping and consider how the non-scope products could impact the ones your including.

We are a contact and non-contact food packaging manufacturer and because 7 or 8 years ago there was major a push toward GFSI compliance among our current customers and potentially future, we opted to have the whole plant included in the scope instead of adding products to the scope later as we needed. Already having the facility certified is a great selling point for customers looking for SQF certified companies. It narrows their search and always includes your company for consideration.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

Good day all,

I would like to ask, can the FSSC 22000 packaging material manufacturing plant, go for certification scope with just for certain area instead of the whole processing plant?

30% of the plant is doing food related packaging materials, while 70% is doing non-food.

However, the company would like to take 15% of the plant go for FSSC 22000 certification, as only one of the food clients request for FSSC 22000 certification. The remaining parts of will not be certified for food packaging.

Can this situation be accepted?

Thanks in advanced!

Hi hochinwai,

I believe the answer to this query is usually given in the "auditing requirements" section of the FS  Standard. Have you checked already ?

If not, a quick answer is usually available for free by asking yr intended CB auditor.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users