• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:13 AM

Hello All,

We are looking at the possibility of using Post Consumer Waste within our company which produces polythene film, this is primarily to comply with the plastics tax. My concern is if we buy in post consumer waste is how we deal with the traceability aspect, this is particularly concerning when being auditing by the BRCGS.

Thanks in advance.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 31 March 2020 - 01:54 PM

Your post reads as though you'll be buying PCW plastic from a commercial supplier, in which case your traceability obligation is only to be able to identify them as your source.

For your supplier approval, you'd need to ensure the requirements of 3.7.5 are covered - i.e. if the supplier isn't certified or physically audited in accordance with the first two options of 3.7.2 then you'd need to get them to do a traceability exercise, but that traceability is their responsibility rather than yours.

• dave1971mufc likes this

dave1971mufc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:12 PM

One other thing is we are primarily a manufacturer of food contact materials, would this have any bearing on this?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

Tangentially to the traceability point, I believe.
It would likely increase your requirements in terms of approving the material and supplier, and potentially in terms of your own testing (e.g. with respect to Regulation (EU) 10/2011), but the same general traceability requirement will apply.

• dave1971mufc likes this

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

I haven't heard of any recyclers being GFSI certified so you will need to undertake a traceability exercise with them when life gets back to normal, either remotely or as part of an on site audit organised by yourselves.

Make sure that the supplier is registered under EU282/2008 and keep a copy of the EFSA judgement on file as part of your approval evidence. If they are registered, their traceability systems will be defined and your exercise should be fairly straightforward

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users