• Quick Navigation
Photo

How well did your business react to the Covid-19 pandemic?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: How well did your business react to the Covid-19 pandemic? (236 member(s) have cast votes)

How well did your business react to the Covid-19 pandemic?

1. Very well (73 votes [30.93%])

Percentage of vote: 30.93%

2. Quite well (98 votes [41.53%])

Percentage of vote: 41.53%

3. So So (47 votes [19.92%])

Percentage of vote: 19.92%

4. Poorly (14 votes [5.93%])

Percentage of vote: 5.93%

5. It was a disaster (4 votes [1.69%])

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:15 PM

Very well locally, ok nationally, QFS group function, embarrassing.  I put "very well" as the felt experience of the front line is positive but we've been shielding them from the BS from group functions.  Some of the dumbflipery which has come out of people isolated at home without actually talking to any of the sites is astonishing.  When they do talk to site, they claim credit for stuff they've not done.

So we had a call for people at my level to tell us what to do in Covid where what we'd all done was presented back to us.  Embarrassing pure ivory tower BS.

Sounds very similar to what is happening over here too.  So frustrating, starting to affect my mental health for sure.  I don't know why COVID precautions are food safety's responsibility, but nobody else did anything, at all.  It has all been put on us.  

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2020 - 03:58 PM

I don't know why COVID precautions are food safety's responsibility, but nobody else did anything, at all.  It has all been put on us.  

My opinion, because food safety/quality departments are typically the only department in a manufacturing facility with the "there is no try, only DO" mentality to get it done properly.

Is that a good thing? No, it's pretty unfortunate. We broke up some responsibilities here among management and looking back I almost feel like I should have just done it all. Do it right, or don't bother. It's either effective, or security theater.

Sorry, I'm ranting..I guess if you take a step back- *says in politicians voice* It is a testament to the importance of quality and food safety departments everywhere that we are called on to lead the way in these trying times!

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:05 PM

My opinion, because food safety/quality departments are typically the only department in a manufacturing facility with the "there is no try, only DO" mentality to get it done properly.

Is that a good thing? No, it's pretty unfortunate. We broke up some responsibilities here among management and looking back I almost feel like I should have just done it all. Do it right, or don't bother. It's either effective, or security theater.

Sorry, I'm ranting..I guess if you take a step back- *says in politicians voice* It is a testament to the importance of quality and food safety departments everywhere that we are called on to lead the way in these trying times!

That sucks that it is that way for you. It was given to me since I was already doing some of it before it was given to me. I have a public health back ground and couldn't help myself especially when I heard people saying things that were untrue. I'm lucky and have upper management/team support. Don't get me wrong though - like everything else, some days I question why I chose to take this on.

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

That sucks that it is that way for you. It was given to me since I was already doing some of it before it was given to me. I have a public health back ground and couldn't help myself especially when I heard people saying things that were untrue. I'm lucky and have upper management/team support. Don't get me wrong though - like everything else, some days I question why I chose to take this on.

That is what got me too, people spreading false rumors, bad information, and lack of anyone else doing anything to protect employees (INCLUDING MYSELF).  

Why no one else is worried is beyond me though.  I have literally been told not to sanitize sneeze shields that I got custom fabbed.  Obviously I ignored that order, it's madness.  

harmsome

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:00 AM

We were quite lucky. Months before the COVID-19 was declared as pandemic, our company was addressing the risk brought by the African Swine Flu. We implemented strict biosecurity protocols. Prevented entry of visitors to our facilities. Had mandatory checking of temperatures and hand washing at gate entrances. So when COVID-19 became  a world problem 3 months later, the company was already implementing biosecurity measures that are a big help in also facing the COVID-19 risk.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:57 PM

We were quite lucky. Months before the COVID-19 was declared as pandemic, our company was addressing the risk brought by the African Swine Flu. We implemented strict biosecurity protocols. Prevented entry of visitors to our facilities. Had mandatory checking of temperatures and hand washing at gate entrances. So when COVID-19 became  a world problem 3 months later, the company was already implementing biosecurity measures that are a big help in also facing the COVID-19 risk.

A similar situation at our facility - we had already begun developing a response plan for ASFV, and hurriedly put a lot of things in place from that plan for COVID-19.  A small silver lining in that COVID-19 has been a good test for animal biosecurity plans and I imagine some of the measures implemented recently will now be permanent.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:40 PM

We started early with masks and having a sanitation employee on each shift doing laps around the facility spraying/wiping down common "touched" areas.
We removed tables and chairs from break rooms and leased tents and tables and chairs that were installed outside the facility for employees to "social distance".

We managed to find alternate sources of hand sanitizers and dispensing devices and placed them in strategic locations.

As the grind goes on, we do daily/shift walk abouts and find as this drags on, employees are wearing masks exposing their nose, are starting to get closer than they need to and are basically becoming complacent. This behavior, especially with the masks is being shot down quickly.

Luckily, we have not had any employees come down with the virus. We amended our "attendance points" program to not penalize employees who refused to work because of "fear" of the virus. That grace period has since been rescinded.

We stopped things like group training, but kept on doing things like management staff meetings, with social distancing enforced.

We are re-starting group training next week, with common sense. 

Marshall

zoelawton

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Sounds very similar to what is happening over here too.  So frustrating, starting to affect my mental health for sure.  I don't know why COVID precautions are food safety's responsibility, but nobody else did anything, at all.  It has all been put on us.  

So sorry to hear this, i completely understand. My senior management (1 director and 1 technical manager/hr/accounts) are either self isolating or in the office not even for 1 hour of the day. I've not been told i need to do anything regarding Covid-19 however i feel an immense responsibility to do so simply as a human with around 30 staff to think about! I'm not very experienced or knowledgeable in this stuff so i found myself feeling quite low at times to the point i've had to take a few annual leave days just to break up the days!

Not sure why senior management seem to have dipped out of this one at many places - i wonder if self isolation is more important than making sure your employees who put your bread on the table are ok. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

harmsome

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 25 May 2020 - 02:50 AM

I voted poorly too. But they have taken the extra mile NOW. But I will keep my vote for poorly because that was the initial response. .....After we had 30+ confirmed cases and two deaths.

The thing most companies do not understand is that this is a preventive action and NOT a corrective. Sadly we are doing corrective actions and preventive for any future infections.

We have been closed for around a month now trying to get a good plan to go and run smoothly while eliminating any further infections. 

My advise is that you should have your seniors STEP UP before it's tooo late and you see some of your dearest coworkers fall ill or even pass away!!!!!!!!!! 

This gave me the chills. Companies should have Emergency Response Plan and Business Recovery Strategies for risks like this. This way, senior management will be guided on how to react appropriately. 

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:50 AM

No that's not quite what happened with us.  Health and Safety stepped up and led the way, (as they should because it's a health and safety issue) but food safety were way behind.  A month into the crisis, they were suggesting courses of action which would have taken medical PPE away from the NHS in a low risk, socially distanced factory.  I flat out said "I'm not doing that."  They also produced a tiny list of expensive chemicals which were "proven to be effective against Covid".  Stupidity.  Normal soap is proven to be effective.  If bleach didn't kill viruses we'd be pretty stuffed if we had a norovirus incident in one of our sites.

It was just complete out of touch, people producing stuff from home and not talking to anyone knackers.  I even sent some slides which one of my team produced on the remote training they'd delivered on food safety to have it presented back, by him, to me on a call.  It was absolute stupidity.  Had me fuming.

Before this crisis, I was trying to go for a group level job now I'm not sure I want to associate with people so out of touch and incompetent.

QA_123

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 74 posts
  • 2 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

We did not have to make many changes at all.  Our cleaning and sanitizing programs are very robust so we made no changes there.  We had our chemical guy double check the products we were already using and had to make no changes.  We did start sanitizing all door knobs several times a day.  We turned off the drinking fountain and now provide water bottles.  We wore masks for a short time but realized that they were touching them and their faces so much from wearing them that we talked to the health department and they approved us not wearing them.  We also removed some tables from the break room.   I was really confused when I heard other places complain because they had to START sanitizing everything.  How were you not sanitizing before covid-19?????  

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

We did not have to make many changes at all.  Our cleaning and sanitizing programs are very robust so we made no changes there.  We had our chemical guy double check the products we were already using and had to make no changes.  We did start sanitizing all door knobs several times a day.  We turned off the drinking fountain and now provide water bottles.  We wore masks for a short time but realized that they were touching them and their faces so much from wearing them that we talked to the health department and they approved us not wearing them.  We also removed some tables from the break room.   I was really confused when I heard other places complain because they had to START sanitizing everything.  How were you not sanitizing before covid-19????? 

For us it wasn't about not sanitizing but we added more especially the office areas. This I believe is true for most places. We have people dedicated to cleaning commonly touched surfaces. So the copier machine, door handles, light switches, microwave doors, break room counters, etc. In the production areas - the drop down cords used to open doors.

Edited by kfromNE, 05 June 2020 - 02:11 PM.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:28 PM

I voted "Very Well" also. The company,corporate on down reacted quickly in putting rules in place for all employees.  We are 90%+ QSR food supplier so we still took a hit in production where we were shut down for close to a month.  Lucky for us, maybe, we had a planned shut down just about the time all this was erupting.  Did not get as much as planned completed during the shut down with restricted access to the plant and advising contractors that they would not be coming onsite. But we managed, we also just had a visit from "Occupational Health and Safety",the provincial "Health Services and the "Canadian Food Inspection Agency" all at once and they were all impressed with measures taken.

We have not gone the mask route as of yet making it optional for all employees but we really do not have a social distancing issue with in the plant.  Lunch rooms have limited seating now and locker rooms are having to be policed by the team members themselves. Lots of extra sanitation on frequent touch surfaces in common areas. However, in the plant this is not being conducted as every one puts on gloves once they enter the plant and wash their hands. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2020 - 05:51 AM

Interesting that nobody recently seems to be monitoring facial temperatures/doing questionnaires.  Afaik exact opposite to hospitals.

Is disinterest due (a) logistics, (b) measurement accuracy difficulties,  © cost,(d) absence of Validation, eg significant  % asymptomatic ?

And analogous comment with respect to masks. previous post is a typical inconvenience but possibly due inexperience/mask fitting also.

Tyson et al seem to have ultimately/unintentionally verified (d) at their premises.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Wine_QT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:21 PM

Our company which has multiple locations Canada wide (small to large facilities) acted very well - and continues to. They were extremely quick to respond and plan and change as things seemed to rapidly change through out our country and world.  And they continue to ensure the employees are safe first and foremost and that we can continue to produce, as we've never been busier.  They are already being pre-emptive and thinking of plans should a second wave hit.

What is interesting in our province is that the Workers Safety Regulatory body has come out and said that anyone that comes down with Covid 19 moving forward, will automatically be assumed that they contacted it in the work place.

So guilty until proven innocent, the steps taken at our work place, there is little chance that this would occur - yet now that gym's and recreation centers, malls are open - our employees could go to these high risk locations, but it will still be assumed it was our companies fault.

Vishal Kumar Thakur

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:57 AM

It's very Tough Time For Us and we need to fight together against this Pandemic.. Hope everything will be again fine and on track very soon.. Best wishes to All. 

Mathieu Colmant

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 18 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

Interesting that nobody recently seems to be monitoring facial temperatures/doing questionnaires.  Afaik exact opposite to hospitals.

Is disinterest due (a) logistics, (b) measurement accuracy difficulties,  © cost,(d) absence of Validation, eg significant  % asymptomatic ?

And analogous comment with respect to masks. previous post is a typical inconvenience but possibly due inexperience/mask fitting also.

Tyson et al seem to have ultimately/unintentionally verified (d) at their premises.

Hi Charles,

I know 2 companies who were doing it in Belgium. But Work Medicine agencies then came, and told them they are not allowed to do so, because : 

1. There is a data protection regulation in the EU

2. Medical acts must be performed by medical officers.

So nobody does it anymore. They just ask people to do it at home ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mathieu Colmant

Consultant in Food Safety - Brussels & London

Director

FollowFoodLaw.eu ltd

bakeryscience

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 119 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking and baking, coffee culture, photography, watercolor painting, pets (I've officially been converted into a cat person), travel, minimalism, self-improvement

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Food Scientist, If you don't mind me asking, where in the US are you located? Is it somewhere that is a hot spot? So, so sorry for your loss!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

Food Scientist, If you don't mind me asking, where in the US are you located? Is it somewhere that is a hot spot? So, so sorry for your loss!

Florida. Back when we shut down and everyone was sick we were not *really* considered a hot spot, but now........... 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:16 AM

We really done a good job in preventing the infection at our facility like sanitation, employee movement and monitoring. 

El Molino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 July 2020 - 06:17 PM

I voted  Quite well- We are a very small processing plant that is Federally inspected - we actually managed our FSSC audit just before the no fly rules were implemented. I come from a farm background where bio security is paramount so all our practices for hygiene, masks in RTE , frequent glove changes, boot baths etc were already in place. One point I really bristled at was the auditor wanted a full written response to the pandemic in our emergency plan - but this was in the early phase for Canada. It specifies in ISO that public health risks are beyond the scope of the Food safety program - he backed off when I pointed this out.

We are in a reduced production mode since retail and food service products changed in demand - but we still managed to operate with no illnesses.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:49 PM

El Molino you located in Claresholm?

BrianMatthews

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

measures were put in place quickly and we have managed to stay covid free to date. being a brewery, I was concerned when the pubs closed but we managed to keep on all staff members and even saw growth last year.

I have to hand it to management, I don't think they could have done a better job. 

BrianMatthews

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:41 AM

measures were put in place quickly and we have managed to stay covid free to date. being a brewery, I was concerned when the pubs closed but we managed to keep on all staff members and even saw growth last year.

I have to hand it to management, I don't think they could have done a better job. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users