• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to conduct a review of an environmental monitoring plan for orange juice production?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

rangeleski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:46 AM

Hi, can anybody help with how to conduct a review of an environmental monitoring plan for orange juice production. This was one of our NCRs from a customer audit that there was no evidence of an annual review of the sites environmental monitory plan. Can anybody share some templates, checklists etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

Can you clarify what it is that you need to do?
"No evidence of an annual review of the site's environmental monitoring plan" seems to imply that there is a plan, but it isn't being reviewed?

rangeleski

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

It’s in regards to ATP testing of the line for hygiene etc. the auditor advised that no other potential areas, organisms etc have been considered. How do I go about doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:26 PM

Do you have Environment Monitoring program describing areas to monitor, tests, testing procedures & methods, sampling frequencies, tolerances, corrective actions in case of negative results, verification procedures, trend analyses, etc? Your program/plan should be reviewed at the established frequency to ensure effectiveness, feasibility, compliance to current regulations, etc.

AudreyB

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

Your environmental monitoring program should include testing of not only the line area but also the surrounding environment. There are a number of posts on hygienic zoning (zone 1 to 4) and how to build a solid environmental monitoring program. 

Environmental monitoring is a hot topic right now and is honestly very much under utilised in so many food industries. You can gather a fair amount of data on your plant hygiene and cleanliness. 

To begin, I would gather your ATP readings per sampling site and start trending this data. You can set up some basic excel tables to follow your data per sampling site, per zone, per month, etc. Once you begin having data trends, you can use this to review your environmental monitoring program (are your limits too high, too low? do you always have higher results in specific areas? etc.) 

I would also suggest using more than only ATP for your environmental monitoring. ATP is a great tool to be used as a rapid indicator of surface cleanliness, but it can easily be misused and give misleading results. I would add in some indicator organism testing - TPC, and Coliforms as well as some basic pathogen environmental monitoring - E. coli and Listeria spp. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users