• Quick Navigation
Photo

What is the reasoning behind setting a recall time limit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

Dear All,

Why there are certain requirements mentioned recall need to be done within certain period like BRC required 4 hours? What the reason behind it?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:06 AM

Dear All,

Why there are certain requirements mentioned recall need to be done within certain period like BRC required 4 hours? What the reason behind it?

I believe this originally comes from the British retailers, for whom the BRC standard was (mostly) originally developed - broadly the idea is that if you have found a significant problem with a product then you need to do something about it quickly.

If something has gone wrong and your product poses a safety risk, do you really want it sat on customers' shelves, and/or being eaten by conumers, for any longer than the absolute minimum amount of time?

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Do you mean the traceability? 4 hours to announce a recall is too quick for a decision that needs multi-division judgments and strategic business consideration, IMO.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

The idea is to cut down on as much as possible on the killing of people, maiming, making people sick, etc. The faster a recall is done the less people have to suffer.

Taking excessive time to institute a recall even if a mock recall is very telling as to how serious a company is and how well run or not well run a company is.

I have a client that is fully automated and spot on when it comes to recall, tracing etc.

They do most mock recalls within about 15 minutes and have seen one done in less than a minute - even complex.

This was born out of having killed three people several years ago when finally a regulatory agency had to come in to handle the recall because try as they might they just could not stop stumbling over each other.

I find that most companies that kill people due to a product issue will never ever find themselves in that position again.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:43 AM

Do you mean the traceability? 4 hours to announce a recall is too quick for a decision that needs multi-division judgments and strategic business consideration, IMO.

Yes, for BRC it's the traceability element that must be completed in <4 hours.

There isn't a specific time limit set for the "actual" recall/withdrawal element itself.

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

Some of requirement demand the company to recall / trace the product within  4 hours or some customer requirement even stringent as 2 hours 

VThiruselvi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:04 AM

The idea is to cut down on as much as possible on the killing of people, maiming, making people sick, etc. The faster a recall is done the less people have to suffer.

Taking excessive time to institute a recall even if a mock recall is very telling as to how serious a company is and how well run or not well run a company is.

I have a client that is fully automated and spot on when it comes to recall, tracing etc.

They do most mock recalls within about 15 minutes and have seen one done in less than a minute - even complex.

This was born out of having killed three people several years ago when finally a regulatory agency had to come in to handle the recall because try as they might they just could not stop stumbling over each other.

I find that most companies that kill people due to a product issue will never ever find themselves in that position again.

Thank you 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users