Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

When reviewing SQF Policy 11.3.2 for food manufacturing, It's unclear on a topic. Once hands are washed and an employee enters the production floor, puts on gloves and handles product. Their glove rips, or if they handle a non-food contact item. When they change out their gloves to go back to handling food contact items, do they need to re-wash their hands prior to putting new gloves on? I'd say it's implied, but I want to see if their are other interpretations of the rule. 

Sorry if this was discussed before, I couldn't find anything before writing this.

Thanks in advance! 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:33 PM

You will find in the SQF guidance a note about "Personnel who use gloves also follow hand washing requirements"  

The requirement for what happens when an employee rips a glove is normally found on your own GMP's for employees, etc.

Thus, implied and by policy of your GMPs required.

So, generally an employee that rips their gloves is to remove them, dispose of them and go thru the steps to wash their hands and then put a new pair on.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

kras1967

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:36 PM

Should this be followed for both direct and indirect contact with food product? Example: handling an empty drum to situate for filling food product, then using processing equipment to fill the drum but no direct contact with the food. We'd normally change gloves between handling the drum and using the processing equipment (fill hose w/adapter). I assume you'd do a risk assessment on the process, correct?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users