Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:12 AM

Hi everyone! I have been wondering about an important topic these days: During the corrugation process for paperboard production we normally use WHEAT STARCH for glue preparation. So, what kind of allergen controls would you suggest in order to mitigate the risk of cross contamination? Even more, what kind of documents or analysis should I require to my starch suppliers? All the best, Franco

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:15 AM

Hi everyone!
I have been wondering about an important topic these days:
During the corrugation process for paperboard production we normally use WHEAT STARCH for glue preparation.
So, what kind of allergen controls would you suggest in order to mitigate the risk of cross contamination?
Even more, what kind of documents or analysis should I require to my starch suppliers?

All the best,
Franco

Hi Franco,

You are maybe worrying about too many things.

Risk = ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2020 - 11:05 AM

I am impressed that you have identified it. I have rarely received an allergen questionnaire back from a board supplier (even big international companies) that mention it.

It is one of the first parts of your allergen management process to know what you have on site. (Other obscure ones may be pest baits, food grade lubricants). Then it is as Charles said down to a risk assessment. In your case I would guess that the chance of any cross contamination to a food is fairly remote unless your process generates a lot of wheat dust. However, make sure you look at how the board is used eg is it for direct food contact, what type of food, contact time etc.

I would always ask suppliers for a full specification of their products including allergen content, but I don't see much need for any analysis in this case.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:47 PM

Wheat gluten.

Can impact GF manufacturers if they are using your packaging to package their GF products.

We recently had a client that purchased their lids for glass jars from a company that put a beach of wheat starch on the lid to hold a glossy cardboard piece in place - that beading was tested and found to contain 10 ppm - would have potential to cause issues, so they had the manufacturer do a work-around.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

MlissaB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 20 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2020 - 01:55 PM

If your risk assessment determines it's an issue, research starches without wheat. They're out there.

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:35 PM

The wheat glues are commonly used for the fluting part of the carton so they will be widely spread throughout the product, hence direct food contact may be a problem, but it does depend upon what the carton is used for - if it is a cake (non gluten-free of course) the risk would be lower.

There are alternative non wheat glues around but it is a big development project to change as the application systems are set up around the wheat glue and it will be a high throughput process. Small differences in glue could have big issues for the product and process.

That is without cost considerations.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 October 2020 - 08:47 AM

Hi everyone! I have been wondering about an important topic these days: During the corrugation process for paperboard production we normally use WHEAT STARCH for glue preparation. So, what kind of allergen controls would you suggest in order to mitigate the risk of cross contamination? Even more, what kind of documents or analysis should I require to my starch suppliers? All the best, Franco

Hi Franco,

So what is the Product (if any) ? and

What is the Packaging, eg direct Contact, outer carton or ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Franco León

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 06 January 2022 - 06:03 PM

Hi Franco,

So what is the Product (if any) ? and

What is the Packaging, eg direct Contact, outer carton or ?

Hi, is it normally boxes for Agroindustry, commonly for Europe and American markets.

So yes, it is direct contact (primary).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users