• Quick Navigation
Photo

Jewellery Policy 6.2.1 - how are you dealing with no piercings on exposed parts of the body?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

CraigH16

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 17 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:36 PM

Hi all

Just wondering how people are dealing with the update to 6.2.1 of BRC Packaging issue 6 with regards to not piercings on exposed parts of the body’. Has everyone banned earrings?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 253 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:39 AM

My company provides cloth helmets to everybody and they cover the ears. We then don't ban earrings and just don't encourage the dangling types.

PieGuy191

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 30 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:31 PM

If you are going to allow the jewelry, you need to do a risk assessment to ensure that whatever you are going to use to cover it up does not allow the object fall out of the covering if it comes loose.

Here is what we have in our GMP's:

No jewelry (ear rings, necklaces, bracelets, etc.) is permitted in the processing, packaging, shipping, or maintenance areas.  Only plain wedding bands (without a setting) that can be sanitized and cleaned are permitted. Medical alert bracelets and necklaces are allowed.  Body piercings that are or can be exposed (ear, eyebrow, tongue, nose, lip, and cheek) are not allowed in the plant processing/packaging areas, only in the break room, locker rooms, front office or store area. 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 28 October 2020 - 12:38 PM

We have NO JEWELLERY policy with only exception for medical bracelets/pendants.

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:34 PM

ours is the same a PieGuy191

Some places allow it to be covered with a blue ,metal detectable plaster but you can get into a can of worms. We would only allow it for a low risk visitor. It will not work for tongue piercings 

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:44 PM

ours is the same a PieGuy191

Some places allow it to be covered with a blue ,metal detectable plaster but you can get into a can of worms. We would only allow it for a low risk visitor. It will not work for tongue piercings 

You guys all ban tongue piercings as well?

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

Yes

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,605 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 October 2020 - 04:00 PM

You guys all ban tongue piercings as well?

I can't see tongue piercings without an effort that I am not willing to perform. (especially in the day of COVID)  They are not on my list. If is ever becomes an issue and it hasn't in 16 years here, I consider changing my mind.

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

I've always considered tongue piercing's as not 'exposed,' which is what a few codes have in the wording.

I'm not in any way going against those that do ban them, because I could see an argument that if they are talking and you can see it, it's exposed. For me it was just a rabbit hole I didn't want to go down.

Speaking of rabbit holes I didn't want to go down, it was unfortunately a badly kept secret that the other SQF practitioner (lab manager, we were each others back-up in our respective locations in a previous business I worked in) had a prince albert...

I've learned quite a bit in the 6 years since that position, but I still don't think there is a way to appropriately address that one.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2020 - 08:46 AM

LOL,

Yes steer well clear of that.!

I think it is a judgment call and you could defend it either way with a good risk assessment. (tongue periling I mean!)

With Covid, tongue piercings are not an issue because we are all wearing masks now. A previous boss put it to me that when we speak we expel some water/saliva droplets and that this is increased if we have something in our mouth. Obviously gum & sweets increase saliva but a piece of metal creates more than an empty mouth would.  :shades:  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users