Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:06 PM

I have a huge problem.  I became the QA manager just a few months ago at a baking facility.  We are SQF certified and have an audit coming up.  We have a preventive maintenance program in place.  The problem is that our previous maintenance men didnt fill out the relevant forms to show they they did the work.  The few forms i did have filled out are missing.  I know the work has been done.  Everyone thought everyone else was keeping records and i just found all of this out while i was doing a self audit.  The previous person that was keeping track of things didnt have an digital files of record keeping.  I have redone the system so the forms can be done on there phone, take pictures of work performed, sign etc and when they send it it will go to my email.  So no more excuses for why the forms werent filled out.  So going forward I can digitally track everything they are doing.  How do i recap past maintenance record keeping?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,666 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:22 PM

I would document in writing what has happened and what corrective actions you put into place.

Next, document the training that was done on this situation.

Keep the above in your file - you may need it at your audit.

Next, you may know the work was done, but regardless with no record to prove it the Auditor will not accept verbal, he/she might note it, but having been an SQF Auditor I doubt it.

My suggest is your maintenance team gets to work right now in inspecting and reviewing each item on the checklist - as in do the PM right now and document everything like it should have been done.

If I were the Auditor and I got the explanation as to why things were not being done, but saw in documentation that you pro-actively went about correcting the situation by taking big actions it would not be a gig.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 26 October 2020 - 02:26 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 26 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

CORRECTIVE ACTION! You must show the auditor that you detected the NC and opened a CAPA for it! 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Jeffrey Ort

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2020 - 09:29 AM

Definitely document this as a NC for the internal audit and follow CAPA.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users