• Quick Navigation
Photo

If we know raw eggs may contain salmonella, then why do we have a salmonella recall?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

muchmore

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the FSQA world. I have been on the nutrition side of foods for many years and decided I wanted a change. I currently work at a chocolate factory and of course, we use eggs.

My question today is probably very simple, but I'm missing the understanding. If we all know that raw eggs may contain salmonella, then why have a salmonella recall?

Thank you,

Michael

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:03 PM

Hello all,

I am new to the FSQA world. I have been on the nutrition side of foods for many years and decided I wanted a change. I currently work at a chocolate factory and of course, we use eggs.

My question today is probably very simple, but I'm missing the understanding. If we all know that raw eggs may contain salmonella, then why have a salmonella recall?

Thank you,

Michael

Good morning Michael,

Couple of items --

Welcome to IFSQN!

I've been in a number of Chocolate companies have not seen the use of eggs, I assume your company is making a specialty item.

The SAM issue has always been a puzzler to me as SAM is present on many surfaces, in soil, etc.

Thus, you could have bags of onions for instance, pick up SAM in the field and then sacks of onions get dragged across flooring in a packing plant, onto a truck and across the floor of a supermarket and all of a sudden somebody gets sick from eating raw onions and its the fault of the packer.

I remember back a ways the gigantic egg recall and when inspectors went to check out the hen houses they found it almost impossible to open the doors due to the level of fecal matter on the flooring of the houses... as in oozing out.

Granted that may have been true and most certainly a situation that needed correction, but like you said all eggs have SAM (not inside but outside) - it goes to the cleaniness of the product (cleaning and sanitizing the shell before packing.)

Recalls for egg companies almost always revolve around improper sanitary conditions - have you noticed how long it has been since the last egg recall - I would say the industry cleaned their act up.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

muchmore

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:18 PM

Good morning Michael,

Couple of items --

Welcome to IFSQN!

I've been in a number of Chocolate companies have not seen the use of eggs, I assume your company is making a specialty item.

The SAM issue has always been a puzzler to me as SAM is present on many surfaces, in soil, etc.

Thus, you could have bags of onions for instance, pick up SAM in the field and then sacks of onions get dragged across flooring in a packing plant, onto a truck and across the floor of a supermarket and all of a sudden somebody gets sick from eating raw onions and its the fault of the packer.

I remember back a ways the gigantic egg recall and when inspectors went to check out the hen houses they found it almost impossible to open the doors due to the level of fecal matter on the flooring of the houses... as in oozing out.

Granted that may have been true and most certainly a situation that needed correction, but like you said all eggs have SAM (not inside but outside) - it goes to the cleaniness of the product (cleaning and sanitizing the shell before packing.)

Recalls for egg companies almost always revolve around improper sanitary conditions - have you noticed how long it has been since the last egg recall - I would say the industry cleaned their act up.

Thank you for you answer!

We use both egg powder and egg beaters in a few of our novelty products, as well as in baked goods in our retail locations.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users