• Quick Navigation
Photo

Has anyone done a verbatim on SQF to their procedures?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Samlarios1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:31 PM

Working on new edition of SQF and wondering if anyone has done verbatim from SQF Code to their procedures. Of course, having the supporting associated documents.

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2020 - 04:48 PM

My first SQF audit was last year and our auditor recommended that in the future I just copy the code verbatim.  I did that for this year, but have not yet had my audit.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:37 PM

what does that mean?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Samlarios1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:39 PM

My first SQF audit was last year and our auditor recommended that in the future I just copy the code verbatim.  I did that for this year, but have not yet had my audit.

Thats great to know. I will be doing it for my next audit on 9.0. Thanks!

Samlarios1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:40 PM

what does that mean?

Basically, taking the SQF code word for word to use as our procedures.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:08 AM

Also sometimes known as reverse engineering. :smile:

However zero text adjustment is likely to cause verbal tensing errors/illogicalities.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:35 PM

Your FSMS and all procedures should be specific to your facility. I would caution against verbatim procedures. Code tends to refer to requirements, not specific actions which you would need in procedure. For instance SQF code states: "2.4.3.5 Product descriptions shall be developed and documented for all packaging included in the scope of the
food safety plans. This shall reference the finished product specifications (refer to 2.3.5.1) plus any additional information relevant to product safety, such as WVTR, gas permeability.
" That isn't a procedure, it's a description of the content of your procedure. The procedure should describe the steps for HOW you comply with the code specific to your products and processes. Document control is another one. Your specific activities related to document control might be keeping files of controlled paper copies in locked file cabinets where mine is electronic documents controlled by access to modifications given only to the sys. admin. and myself. The procedure will refer to the specific method.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for letting me know.

I would not suggest that at all, regardless of what an Auditor might recommend - and frankly, that Auditor should get reported.

We've actually written a lot of systems and do not do verbatim's (as you have called it) - all are custom within a framework.

I would be highly suspect as an Auditor ( and I was one of the first SQF Auditors) if I saw a high percentage of cut and paste interwoven.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Mulan1010

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 249 posts
  • 139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 November 2020 - 11:05 PM

We have been audited by an SQF Certification Body for many years and we have used the wording from the various versions of the code verbatim in many instances, but not solely.  For some of your programs you will need to expand on how you will meet the requirements in your facility; especially if the code wording says "the methods and responsibility ... shall be documented and implemented". You will need to define your facilities specific methods and who all will be responsible by job titles.  However for sections of the SQF Code such as Ed 9, 2.1.2, Management Review, I think it would be very practical and efficient to use their wording so there is no doubt you will meet the SQF Requirements.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2020 - 12:41 AM

We have been audited by an SQF Certification Body for many years and we have used the wording from the various versions of the code verbatim in many instances, but not solely.  For some of your programs you will need to expand on how you will meet the requirements in your facility; especially if the code wording says "the methods and responsibility ... shall be documented and implemented". You will need to define your facilities specific methods and who all will be responsible by job titles.  However for sections of the SQF Code such as Ed 9, 2.1.2, Management Review, I think it would be very practical and efficient to use their wording so there is no doubt you will meet the SQF Requirements.

I think 2.1.2 is the exact criteria that was being reviewed when my auditor suggested I use the verbiage in the code.  The approach you've described is the same one I've taken.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users