• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:08 AM

Hello

I thought my issue was an inventory management one but i believe its a food safety/document issue. All of our products need to be cooled then decorated, or set overnight then cut and decorated. The problem is our products are being hand-cut so sometimes the batch will make 190 boxes, but other times the batch will make 187 products because we throw away the ones not up to quality. But the administrator enters the production sheet into the system as 190 boxes as that is what the sheet says. So we always have an inaccurate stock count. 

This also makes it very difficult to control traceability with the production sheets. The current process for releasing products is :

- Production sheet is allocated to staff with the batch codes

- After production is finished, a batch sticker is attached to the trolley with each product batch and moved to the cool room to set

- Once it is set, the products are cut and packed.

- Product boxes are then labelled with an identification sticker and batch code and packed to store in freezer room.

By the time the products are cut and packed away the administrator has already filed away the production sheet so the staff forget the batch code! I have to sift through files to figure out where it came from. We have HACCP only so we only have to test products once every 3 months, not by the batch.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Edited by Jacob Timperley, 17 November 2020 - 03:31 PM.

mohamed ahmed yusuf

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 190 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

• Egypt
    Egypt
  • Interests:Reading, Listening music, handball , volleyball, food safety, drawing , R&D, Photoshop

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:21 AM

Hi Nakedbakery, 

Facility defined to be able to do  traceability when they are able to do it one step forward and one step backward, adding to this what called Mass balance which simply talking about the input/ output ratio (what is the quantity of raw material and packaging materials which used to produce this quantity of finish product), in mass balance you shall mention the waste of product and quantity of raw materials and packaging materials that remained.

In your case i recommend to add itno the production sheet a cell called waste product / hold product which is 3 boxes and finished product are 187 boxes with total quantity 190 boxes, for the 3 boxes i think proper action for re-processing or reworking shall be mentioned.

Hope that i could help you! 

M.Yusuf

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:37 AM

By the time the products are cut and packed away the administrator has already filed away the production sheet so the staff forget the batch code! I have to sift through files to figure out where it came from. We have HACCP only so we only have to test products once every 3 months, not by the batch.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Is there a reason that the paperwork is being filed and entered before production for the batch has actually finished?
This seems to be the crux of the difficulties you're having, and is an obvious potential source of traceability and stock management difficulties. I'd simply be advising them that the paperwork stays with the product until it's all in final pack.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:54 PM

Two options -

Don't complete paperwork until after everything is done.

Do you preliminary paperwork and then once set complete an amended paper and attach to the first set.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator