Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:01 PM

Hi all, I had a question regarding the purpose of 2.4.5 Non-Conforming Product. Is this section intended to keep documentation of any incident? If a product does not meet spec, I would use this procedure. If a co-man sent a box with a different date, same product, on pallet, would i use this procedure?? Is this procedure a catch all for any form of issue whether food safety or errors?? Thanks! 

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:18 PM

Your procedure should detail identification of non-conformities from outside sources and the steps you take to address it. Some things that come to mind would be opening a supplier non-conformance record, supplier corrective action record (if multiple repeats), etc.

Ideally your procedure would identify those outside sources where non-conforming product could be introduced

1. Identify sources

2. Steps to address

- SCAR/SNCR

- Disposition of product (pick up by co-man)

- Records of disposition, etc.

- Responsible persons for overseeing this process

However you want it to look should be fine as long as there is a process to identify, dispose, and record the non-conforming products from external sources

Yes I would apply the same principles to both issues so you dont have to create two separate processes that in most cases would look the same. You could add a section in the procedure where it is evaluated whether it is a food safety hazard or general quality defect. A food safety hazard might require more attention, urgency, and greater collaboration from team members to be resolved quicker

Edited by jdpaul, 09 December 2020 - 08:24 PM.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2020 - 08:20 PM

in my opinion it is for food safety issues.   if the error could result in a food safety issue it would also apply as well.   

If the different date is not on the shipping  paperwork /  there is or could be a possible  tracability issue  or a food security risk,  then I would say it could  apply.  

don't forget about 2.5.3 corrective and preventative actions for deviations from food safety requirements.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Food Police

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 50 posts
  • 9 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Computers, Technology, Biology, Stock Market, Hunting, Fishing, Motorcycles, and of course Quality Assurance (food/beverage/nutraceutical/medical device/pharma)

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:26 PM

I agree with Jdpaul above. Also I just wanted to note that in the changes to ed. 9 of SQF code, non-conforming equipment was moved to 11.1.7 Equipment and Utensils. Essentially it would have the same process as non-conforming product though, in a sense that it triggers a QA hold and investigation whatever the case may.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users