Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Austria
    Austria

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:58 AM

Hello, I am now at implementing the IFS 7 in our company and at the point of the Food Safety Culture. How are you implementing this theme? I am not sure how the Food Safety Plan should look like. Should it only be the explanation of how the survey/ questionnaire gets evaluate? May you have some examples for me. Thank you very much!

Thanked by 1 Member:

jdpaul

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 256 posts
  • 221 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

Does not the IFS 7 define the food safety culture as

Shared values, beliefs and norms that affect mindset and behaviour toward food safety in, across and throughout an organization. Elements of food safety culture are those elements of the food safety management which the senior management of a company may use to drive the food safety culture within the company. These may include, but are not limited to: • Communication about Food Safety policies and responsibilities, • Training, • Employee feedback on food safety related issues, • Performance measurement.

It looks like you have to have food safety culture as part of the policy and as an agenda item during management review.

I think the easiest steps would be determine how will you evaluate food safety culture and what does that look like; a few things come to mind;

1. Is there urgency in all departments when a non-conforming product arises or is just quality?

2. How quickly and promptly are quality issues resolved? Who is involved?

3. Who is involved in GMP audits? Having a diverse GMP audit group from all departments will drive food safety culture (e.g. by training all people to correctly observe a GMP violation and/or something that needs improvement)

4. How quickly are audit findings closed? Do you track overage days vs. completion rate?

5. What is the general feeling about quality in the plant? If it is low then that means more meetings should be held by top management to drive importance through new initiatives (like the ones I mentioned above GMP involvement and Audits).

Edited by jdpaul, 12 January 2021 - 08:55 PM.

Thanked by 3 Members:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 844 posts
  • 289 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 January 2021 - 12:10 AM

i have attached the GFSI white paper on food safety culture. I think it will help you understand what GFSI is wanting.
I also attached a food safety survey that i have used.  I think it could be improved tho

in MY OPINION, your progam should cover what i consider to be the 3 major areas of culture.  

1.  management.  How does your company deliver a clear and consistant message of the importance of food safety.
2.  education.  How (aside from & including the usual training) are you ensuring that employees are well versed in food
safety and can identify issues. see maturity model appendix in GFSI doc.
3. empowerment. How do you demonstrate employees our empowered and encouraged to maintain and improve food safety.

the GFSI document goes into much more detail in these and other areas of establishing, maintaining,
and improving food safety culture. I would start with a pretty simple program and try to improve it
over time.

Attached Files

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

BVRC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 43 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 28 March 2021 - 07:42 AM

Hi there

After rabbitholding the topic (back in BRC Issue 8 update times) I settled on this article as a guide: https://www.food-saf...afety-behaviors

And developed a plan and measurement system, it includes an employee questionnaire similar to the one posted by @kingstudruler1. There are so many things we already do to foster a food safety culture, it just needs formalizing into a spreadsheet!  :lol2:

Sheet 1 is the plan and measurement and sheet 2 is collating the score for each of the areas and plot it to include in Management review. 

Hope it helps someone!

BVRC

Attached Files

Tresa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 115 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:40 PM

Enable GingerHi everyone,

what phrase would you recommend to add to policy statement for food safety culture?

Thanks,

Cannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:46 PM

There was a thread on here about food safety culture and it has some resources in it which included survey questions for personnel.  I recommend you check out that thread.

Tresa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 115 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2021 - 12:32 PM

There was a thread on here about food safety culture and it has some resources in it which included survey questions for personnel.  I recommend you check out that thread.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply, but I would like to know what should I add to our Quality statement in terms of food safety culture?

BVRC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 43 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:02 PM

Hi Tresa

I've had a few GFSI audits with newly implemented food safety culture plans and no amendments to their policy statement. 

However ideas from what you could add you might find in the GFSI Guidance (also posted before on this thread)  - Look under Section 4 - Vision and Mission and formulate a sentence that includes values, directions and leadership for example. 

Hope it helps.

Attached Files

Edited by BVRC, 27 April 2021 - 02:03 PM.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:51 PM

Tresa,

That depends on what is currently in your statement.  You can add something like, "Strive to ensure we maintain a strong Food Safety Culture."

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply, but I would like to know what should I add to our Quality statement in terms of food safety culture?

Thanked by 2 Members:

Tresa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 115 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 May 2021 - 03:59 PM

Hi there

After rabbitholding the topic (back in BRC Issue 8 update times) I settled on this article as a guide: https://www.food-saf...afety-behaviors

And developed a plan and measurement system, it includes an employee questionnaire similar to the one posted by @kingstudruler1. There are so many things we already do to foster a food safety culture, it just needs formalizing into a spreadsheet!  :lol2:

Sheet 1 is the plan and measurement and sheet 2 is collating the score for each of the areas and plot it to include in Management review. 

Hope it helps someone!

BVRC

Hi BVRC,

Can i ask you how did you complete the food safety culture and measurement file?

m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 28 September 2021 - 08:15 AM

This is my food safety plan, it is in italian but you can understand the aim of the plan. I hope it can help someone

Attached Files

Thanked by 6 Members:

bhargavvp

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:29 AM

Hi BVRC,

Thanks for sharing. It is really very helpful. Can you please share or brief on review scoring marks. How it calculate?

Bhargav

Hi there

Hope it helps someone!

BVRC

RyH

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 April 2022 - 11:10 AM

Hi All,

I've used the attached doc to cover this for our FSSC 22000. Auditor seemed happy enough with it.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Ry

Attached Files

Edited by RyH, 08 April 2022 - 11:13 AM.

paddy7m

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2022 - 03:29 PM

Hi there

Hope it helps someone!

BVRC

Hi BVRC

I really liked your Food Safety Culture Plan and Measurement doc but can you please explain how the scoring and percentage progress is calculated. Thanks

tanyaS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 22 September 2022 - 01:20 PM

i have attached the GFSI white paper on food safety culture. I think it will help you understand what GFSI is wanting.
I also attached a food safety survey that i have used.  I think it could be improved tho

in MY OPINION, your progam should cover what i consider to be the 3 major areas of culture.  

1.  management.  How does your company deliver a clear and consistant message of the importance of food safety.
2.  education.  How (aside from & including the usual training) are you ensuring that employees are well versed in food
safety and can identify issues. see maturity model appendix in GFSI doc.
3. empowerment. How do you demonstrate employees our empowered and encouraged to maintain and improve food safety.

the GFSI document goes into much more detail in these and other areas of establishing, maintaining,
and improving food safety culture. I would start with a pretty simple program and try to improve it
over time.

Quick one, how did you evaluate the culture example results?  

BVRC

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 43 thanks
Good

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 06 February 2023 - 08:45 AM

My apologies - I missed the questions on this post. 

I've updated indication of how the calculations work. 

Ideally, you'd set criteria for how you value activities, I used status of implementation. 

In hindsight after a few years of working with food safety culture planning/ standard upgrades one would update the plan with behaviour objectives. 

Best Regards

Bennii

Selvin Santos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 27 May 2023 - 08:57 PM

Hello everyone, 

I asked ChatGPT to analyze a couple of documents to create a safety culture plan and the attached document was the result. 

I did the translation with DEEPL (in case it looks inconsistent).

I know it is not the best way, but it is interesting to see how he analyzes and summarizes the information. 

Attached Files

Edited by Selvin Santos, 27 May 2023 - 08:58 PM.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users