Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:06 AM

I just found out one of my production lines has not been doing the CCP of x-ray for the past few weeks. They were supposed to use another machine, but apparently have not been doing that, and the person doing the monitoring did not notify our quality department or anyone! We are putting all of the product on hold, and having an emergency HACCP meeting, but do we now have to recall all the product made on that equipment? This is going to be a lot of products, so I'm wondering what our options are. I'm worried about the customers, as well as what we need to demonstrate to our SQF auditor when they see we are missing records for a month. I usually check the records monthly during our walkthrough audits, which is why it has been so long. Our product is mostly powders / beverage mixes that you would drink directly out of the package. Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:00 AM

I just found out one of my production lines has not been doing the CCP of x-ray for the past few weeks. They were supposed to use another machine, but apparently have not been doing that, and the person doing the monitoring did not notify our quality department or anyone!

We are putting all of the product on hold, and having an emergency HACCP meeting, but do we now have to recall all the product made on that equipment? This is going to be a lot of products, so I'm wondering what our options are. 

I'm worried about the customers, as well as what we need to demonstrate to our SQF auditor when they see we are missing records for a month. I usually check the records monthly during our walkthrough audits, which is why it has been so long. 

Our product is mostly powders / beverage mixes that you would drink directly out of the package. 

Thanks!

Hi awallace,

Various aspects, eg Process CCP consequences, haccp documentation consequences, etc

History may also play a part.

^^^(red) - The easy answer is Yes. Assuming this is possible ?. US Regulatory aspects ?

^^^(blue). May depend on how SQF rates defects, eg Major, Critical etc.

There are several similar threads here with often extended discussions, eg - 

https://www.ifsqn.co...ring-operation/

https://www.ifsqn.co...this-a-failure/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,622 posts
  • 373 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:53 PM

I just found out one of my production lines has not been doing the CCP of x-ray for the past few weeks. They were supposed to use another machine, but apparently have not been doing that, and the person doing the monitoring did not notify our quality department or anyone!

We are putting all of the product on hold, and having an emergency HACCP meeting, but do we now have to recall all the product made on that equipment? This is going to be a lot of products, so I'm wondering what our options are. 

I'm worried about the customers, as well as what we need to demonstrate to our SQF auditor when they see we are missing records for a month. I usually check the records monthly during our walkthrough audits, which is why it has been so long. 

Our product is mostly powders / beverage mixes that you would drink directly out of the package. 

Thanks!

I think first you need to ID all of the questionable product. Do you still have physical control of the all of the product? I would track all of the product at risk down, segregate it, and get it back to your site. Can you re-run it through a working x-ray to test it and see if it is good?

-Setanta         

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,557 posts
  • 1523 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:12 PM

My answer is yes. The company has an obligation to its customers to follow procedures determined NECASSARY to produce wholesome product, they failed. The plan determined a CCP was required, ergo recall or withdrawl needs to happen as deviation procedures were not followed either

If you don't recall this, the company may not see why procedures need followed and this WILL happen again

As an aside, why is CCP paperwork not being reviewed more often? This should have been caught week 1 not "the past few weeks"???

You're entire HACCP system needs reassessment to see where else the program is failing, I can guarantee this isn't the only spot

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,696 posts
  • 1149 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

Thanks!

two things - on the recall: YES

on how an Auditor will view this gap - this will be written up as a major finding, as long as you document the process from the time you found the error to how you closed it out, how you informed customers, etc.  Otherwise i would expect a critical without that satisfaction.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

FSQA MKE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 15 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Environmental Monitoring, FSVP, HACCP, Microbiology, Food Safety, Literature, Tennis, GFSI Solutions

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

This is definitely a recall situation.

An adequate corrective action is to adjust the frequency of verification of these CCP Monitoring records to a more suitable time frame (i.e. weekly, the next day). Monthly is not frequent enough.

Providing solutions for food manufacturing companies in achieving regulatory compliance, GFSI standard implementation, environmental monitoring solutions, and HACCP development.

foodsafety@email.com

https://foodsafetymuse.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

cgarcia1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:26 PM

Thanks!

From working in a USDA plant, that would turn into a recall of the product. The person who is supposed to monitoring the production should be held responsible for that error. If there is no consequences there would be no change, this is speaking from experience. I had to do a days worth of production since the metal detector was not being used. Ever since then, there has been no issue. Also, HACCP records should be reviewed way more often than once a month, I review daily for USDA. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

awallace

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

Thank you all for your quick responses! I suspected we would need to follow through with a recall of the products. Unfortunately, product did make it out the door. 

We will be making some serious revisions to our monitoring processes - it will officially be daily going forward. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,557 posts
  • 1523 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

Best of luck to you through this

Use this as a learning opportunity within the company!

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users