• Quick Navigation
Photo

Knife and Blade Procedure. Maintenance daily lookover?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Iowan in Food Safety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2021 - 12:59 PM

11.7.3.8 Knives and cutting instruments used in processing and packaging operations shall be controlled, kept clean, and well maintained. Snap-off blades shall not be used in manufacturing or storage areas. Need some help in this section of SQF. I'm in the process of coming up with the procedure but I'm seeing multiple places that the maintenance team needs a check off sheet for all machine blades daily that they're in good condition. Does anyone have some examples?

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:20 PM

Hmmm in many places I have worked in, did not need Maintenance team overlooking the blade condition. We had our SQF practitioner or quality person or a supervisor/manager in production signing them off. 

You did mention "machine blades", which is different than knives and cutting instruments used in processing/packaging. For machinery, yes Maintenance. But if knives or blades are for example used to cut open bags of raw material, no need for maintenance, like I mentioned above, SQFP or someone from quality/production.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Iowan in Food Safety

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:24 PM

Yes, I'm in process of a QC check off of the knives and box cutters, but the machine blades, I'm curious on if they need a daily form, weekly form, do i need to list all machines with blades in the facility? I just haven't seen any examples so i feel like I'm going in blind.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 08 February 2021 - 01:41 PM

The machine blades would be part of the "machine PM program". So when they check other things on the machines, blades would be one of them. And about frequency, it depends. Some machines require a daily, some require a weekly. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users