Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hi. We're looking into hairnet balaclava's, as beneath showed on the picture.

easy-breezy-disposable-polypropylene-blu

However, this kind of hairnet is pretty expensive. Therefore I'm wondering if it is possible to use 1 hairnet per person a day?

When our personel is exchanging clothes before eating, can they just hang their hairnet on a coat rack with their working clothes?And after eating use their old hairnet again? Thanks in advance.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

The bakery I used to work for used the same balaklavas which were worn over the whole day (taking those off while eating), like you've mentioned. That bakery was BRC certified, with pretty strict policies.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:54 PM

We treat these exactly the same as the standard disposable. Hairnets that are pegged into a book and left are completely uncontrolled and open to being contaminated... so the answer is no.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2021 - 03:57 PM

I wouldn't reuse them. It's very difficult to control.........what if they go on inside out the 2nd time........and they are not durable so probably going to get ripped

Why are you wanting to switch from the norm?   

This style is pretty generous ,so will fit below the ear

https://www.uline.ca...ouffant-Caps-24

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 12 March 2021 - 08:43 PM

Similar to Glenn and Scampi I'm skeptical of how you'd be sure that the hairnets aren't becoming a FB hazard whilst being hung and handled i.e hair going onto the outside of the net or falling onto another PPE item during handling. Generally hairnets are removed after other PPE to control this.

7.4.4 Protective clothing shall be changed at an appropriate frequency, based on risk.
Interpretation Changing protective clothing
Protective clothing needs to be changed at an appropriate frequency to ensure that clothing cannot
become a source of product contamination. The frequency of changes must be based on risk (e.g. using
visual inspections, swabbing or contact plates). For example, hairnets are changed daily or whenever they
are removed.

If you can validate that there is no risk of re-using the hairnets than perhaps feasible - olenazh has illustrated this to be possible in any case (I'm curious as to the details).

One thing to consider also is customer compliance. Even if you do find a way to pass this with BRC, if you have any specific customer COPs I'd check those, as it may not necessarily fly with customer auditors despite it being ok with BRC.

Alternatively, ban eating and toilet breaks so that by default your staff don't have to leave and re-enter :ejut:

Thanked by 1 Member:

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:19 PM

Alternatively, ban eating and toilet breaks so that by default your staff don't have to leave and re-enter :ejut:

I did that a long time ago. Really boosts efficiency. And on top of that, all my employees do this cute little dance for awhile leading up to punch out which is very entertaining!

Adolf von Liebenberg

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:15 AM

You made me giggle.

Colleague asked what was up, then I said nothing and proceeded to use your joke 1 hour later making my colleagues laugh. I'm such a parasite, I am sorry.

On a serious note, I see what will be our biggest problem regarding risk.

Thanks all of your input 

Similar to Glenn and Scampi I'm skeptical of how you'd be sure that the hairnets aren't becoming a FB hazard whilst being hung and handled i.e hair going onto the outside of the net or falling onto another PPE item during handling. Generally hairnets are removed after other PPE to control this.

7.4.4 Protective clothing shall be changed at an appropriate frequency, based on risk.
Interpretation Changing protective clothing
Protective clothing needs to be changed at an appropriate frequency to ensure that clothing cannot
become a source of product contamination. The frequency of changes must be based on risk (e.g. using
visual inspections, swabbing or contact plates). For example, hairnets are changed daily or whenever they
are removed.

If you can validate that there is no risk of re-using the hairnets than perhaps feasible - olenazh has illustrated this to be possible in any case (I'm curious as to the details).

One thing to consider also is customer compliance. Even if you do find a way to pass this with BRC, if you have any specific customer COPs I'd check those, as it may not necessarily fly with customer auditors despite it being ok with BRC.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users