Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2021 - 10:51 AM

Hi all, reaching out for a bit of advice. I've taken on technical manager role in a poultry slaughter and cutting plant with staff that have never had food safety procedures enforced. Having gone from a high care, audited by everyone under the sun, people follow the rules kind of place, this is a tad different. One of the rules i'm trying to enforce (alongside general correct PPE wearing) is the removal or covering of the overalls worn in the cutting room when using staff facilities and the upstairs areas in general. We have no change over area prior to or on exit of cutting rooms, just the staff facility changing room. We have a wet stone electric knife sharpener which is impractically placed in a room next to the canteen etc. The rule is that a protective overcoat is worn when sharpening knives to prevent any contamination of the overalls that they then go and cut in. I'm getting a bit of fight back and general moanings in this change of rule. Can I confirm with fellow techies that this is a reasonable request? We only have FSA approval, no other accreditation. Is anyone willing to share PPE protocols within similar plants?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,479 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:05 PM

I worked poultry slaughter/cutting for more than a decade

Dedicated staff were responsible for sharpening knives prior to shift start in a seperate enclosed space. Employees were provided with individual sharpeners like this one  https://shop.razored...rap-steel-white

We never wore coveralls.........smocks over clean street clothes. Smocks were hung outside processing room for break/lunch etc

The knives should be cleaned and sanitized after wet stone sharpening. and the knives need to be sterilized PRIOR to use in a hot water sanitizer EVERY time they are sharpened. 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 18 March 2021 - 12:19 PM

Hi

We separate the plant into 2 distinct areas.

From lairage through slaughter and processing up to the flail wash is considered 'dirty' and the staff wear one colour PPE

After the flail wash is the blast chiller and then cutting and packing these areas are considered 'clean' and staff here wear different colour PPE

PPE is mob cap or equivalent, and boots

To move from one area to the other you must change

Disposable aprons are available in both areas depending on the job

Staff in the lairage and outside wear a different colour coat to the production

There is one changing room for the whole plant but segregated hanging for PPE

To access the staff facilities they have to change out of the PPE to leave production

Knife sharpening is done in production, not on the line but standing away using the hand held Bobet style sharpeners

some of staff have 'steels' but that is their preference

If a knife needs to be 'properly' sharpened then it is removed from production and sharpened by the engineers

There are controls in place regarding inspection

One of the biggest challenges we faced when implementing the procedures was that no-one saw it as a food product and so why did we need the hygiene rules

I think the original processing mentality was closer to the farm than to food, but we got there in the end

But without the support and commitment of the senior management you face an uphill struggle

rgds

jenw91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:12 PM

The last part of that hit the nail on the head!  It's seen as movement of a commodity and not a food product.

We also have the handheld knife steels for in production but there isn't a well planned process in place yet for controlling the sharpening on the wet stone.

Our next step will be to introduce a proper change over area to force the changing out of overalls. It is baby steps at the moment!

Thanks for your input. 

Hi

We separate the plant into 2 distinct areas.

From lairage through slaughter and processing up to the flail wash is considered 'dirty' and the staff wear one colour PPE

After the flail wash is the blast chiller and then cutting and packing these areas are considered 'clean' and staff here wear different colour PPE

PPE is mob cap or equivalent, and boots

To move from one area to the other you must change

Disposable aprons are available in both areas depending on the job

Staff in the lairage and outside wear a different colour coat to the production

There is one changing room for the whole plant but segregated hanging for PPE

To access the staff facilities they have to change out of the PPE to leave production

Knife sharpening is done in production, not on the line but standing away using the hand held Bobet style sharpeners

some of staff have 'steels' but that is their preference

If a knife needs to be 'properly' sharpened then it is removed from production and sharpened by the engineers

There are controls in place regarding inspection

One of the biggest challenges we faced when implementing the procedures was that no-one saw it as a food product and so why did we need the hygiene rules

I think the original processing mentality was closer to the farm than to food, but we got there in the end

But without the support and commitment of the senior management you face an uphill struggle

rgds

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,479 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

what country are you in???

jenw91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2021 - 01:54 PM

I'm in England. 

what country are you in???

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,479 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 March 2021 - 02:43 PM

I am only asking so we can give you more clarity re: federal regulations

https://www.food.gov...-establishments

The best thing in your arsenal in knowing which regulation to quote when you get push back.......this is best done via email so you can CYA 

Meat is highly regulated for good reason........proper hygiene rules are to be followed at all times

Perhaps ask them if they would rather get salmonella or ecoli or Campylobacter or just follow the rules

jenw91

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 March 2021 - 02:51 PM

Thanks Scampi,

I think i'm mostly there with the legal requirement side of meat hygiene. Basic food safety is universal I guess, it's just nice to get a bit of a view from other people because I can overthink things and ways of working.

I've done the 'would you cut up chicken and then go and make a brew or eat a sandwich without washing your hands at home?' etc. Looking at the canteen, i don't think they're too fussed over getting a bit of food poisoning. I on the other hand would be!

Luckily there is good top management support for me, hence me being brought in to build that side of things up. 

Tough task with difficult people!

I am only asking so we can give you more clarity re: federal regulations

https://www.food.gov...-establishments

The best thing in your arsenal in knowing which regulation to quote when you get push back.......this is best done via email so you can CYA 

Meat is highly regulated for good reason........proper hygiene rules are to be followed at all times

Perhaps ask them if they would rather get salmonella or ecoli or Campylobacter or just follow the rules

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,479 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 18 March 2021 - 03:22 PM

I would plaster the walls in the lunchroom with posters about salmonella, ecoli and campylobacter infections..............two weeks minimum off work, can't be two feet from the loo.........both ends...........

This is a great tool when trying to enforce as well.......easy to follow and understand and built specifically for heavily regulated commodities

https://inspection.c...7674768_eng.pdf

You may have to become the PPE police in the beginning and ask for help from HR.......if people aren't following the rules---which are terms of employment---they get strike 1.......3 strikes you're now without a job

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: knife, PPE, Foreignbody, knives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users