Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hi all. After some recommendations. (this is long and boring but I need some guidance) We are an egg packing site, no CCPs. We take in eggs on plastic trays that are palletised. The packaging for the raw material consists of: plastic trays, plastic divides, and plastic pallets. They are de-palletised and put onto the loader by a robot. They are then taken to a dedicated room with a tray washing machine in, where they are washed and palletised and then sent back out to the suppliers. This room is at the back of the building, attached the primary packaging store room. This machine is used sometimes all day and sometimes for only a few hours. I would appreciate some advice on what documentation / checklists you would expect to see to accompany this process.  The way the machine works: 

- the tank is filled with water, and has an automatic dosetron for the cleaning chemical 

- when temp reaches about 30 degrees c. the machine is ready

- stacks of trays are put on one end of the machine and automatically taken through the machine where they are separated, cleaned, dried, and come back out stacked 

- divides and pallets follow the same process but through a different part of the machine

- stacks of clean trays are then palletised 

This area has been a sticking point for me because different auditors have given different advice. I've had an auditor demand pathogen sampling immediately, held all stock until received the results, and that pathogen sampling needs to be ongoing at a certain frequency. I've had an auditor demand hourly engineering checks, visual checks, temperature checks, chemical checks. I've had auditors want paint on the floor to separate clean and dirty trays. I've had auditors not care for anything more at all.  Due to some sticky audits, the following is what we have implemented: 

- a pre-use engineer check, so before the machine is started the following is checked:

- date

- testing of emergency stop buttons

- water temp.

- chemical dosage correct

- washing pressure (water) correct 

- washing pressure (air) correct

- spray nozzles ok

- a 4 hourly check by the operator, detailing the following: 

- water level

- water temp.

- chemical does correct

- visual check

- spin dryer check

- tray inspection 

Quality control signs this document at the end of the day, and the quantity washed is recorded, with any defects that need reporting. We then have tickets for each cleaned pallet, completed by the operator, signed by quality control and then signed by the driver who takes them confirming they are clean. Along with this are the standard cleaning procedures and cleaning checklists.  Remember this is a plastic tray that goes to a farm for dirty eggs straight out of a chickens bum. I also honestly believe more trays leave the site unwashed than washed. The trays etc. are tested for salmonella quarterly, along with the rest of the factory. This seems a little excessive to me. But I would appreciate opinions and suggestions on what you would expect for this process.  Kindest Regards. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

HI!  Also egg packing, but SQF not BRC

We check out autowasher 3xshift for a total of 6 checks a day, for temp, ph and weather or not the trays are dry. Has satisfied countless SQF auditors and CFIA

If your law is like ours, its illegal to send dirty trays back to the farmers

The issue is NOT salmonella/ ecoli etc.   It's introducing a pathogen to the flock from a different barn that could decimate them. Same goes for poultry crates in slaughter

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users