• Quick Navigation
Photo

Implications of opening a retail outlet on-site?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 04 May 2021 - 02:28 PM

Hello all, our senior management would like to open a retail outlet on-site. They would like to sell our seconds and some of our product and other people's product from an outlet store on-site. Has anyone gone through a transition like this and know what implications, if any it has on our SQF certification? I know we will have to retain traceability and are thinking about treating the retail outlet as a customer but are there any other issues? Any advise, warnings, suggestions etc. would be so appreciated. We manufacture in Canada and are a bakery. Thank you. KBMB

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 May 2021 - 03:34 PM

Make sure the store is out of scope for your audit. That's my advice

Ideally, if the store is out of a space not physically connected, that would be ideal.

Agree that the store should be treated like any other customer.  The financial folks are going to want to see it separate anyway so there should be lots of traceability docs if needed

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:14 PM

We had clients that have done this or already had retail stores in place on-site.

Best route is that you treat the store like a customer (as you mentioned.)  Most clients had the stores under separate company name for this purpose.

In addition and fully up to your management you can either get a separate SQF certification for the retail operation  - but if not, be sure to EXCLUDE it as a part of your scope.

However, the retail space if on same property is subject to auditor inspection - rather important that you ensure that no materials and packaging are stored there for the main facility.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:35 PM

One of my clients, ice cream plant owner, had the same situation. The ice cream parlor was located on the same property as the ice cream manufacturing, but under completely different owners'. CFIA inspector never paid attention to that part of property. Though, that company is not under GFSI...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users