• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are the implications of producing a product outside the scope of accreditation?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

BottlingQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:20 AM

Hi all. We manufacture and package liquids in containers, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. Our BRC scope includes the types of beverages detailed fairly specifically. Management wish to package (and potentially sell) a beverage type not specifically covered by the scope. We didn't foresee this prior to our last audit, otherwise we'd have included it in the scope and audit.

The beverage they wish to produce would be produced with all the usual food and quality standards, and meet regulatory requirements in the domestic market. The question is, what are the implications of producing a product outside the scope of accreditation - I've never had this before. Can we have a minor scope amendment without re audit? Do  we need to re audit?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:27 AM

Just contact your cb and tell them you want to add a beverage to the scope. They will take it from there.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

BottlingQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:08 AM

Thanks Glenn , approaching the cb would be required I feel. However, as a hypothetical question , does an exemption cover other products produced in a plant which is accredited for some products thereby allowing manufacture of non scope product/s to occur? Must all products be in the scope of accreditation ? As I said, I've never come across this situation before.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 May 2021 - 02:44 AM

Hi all . We manufacture and package liquids in containers, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages. Our BRC scope includes the types of beverages detailed fairly specifically. Management wish to package (and potentially sell) a beverage type not specifically covered by the scope. We didn't foresee this prior to our last audit, otherwise we'd have included it in the scope and audit.

The beverage they wish to produce would be produced with all the usual food and quality standards, and meet regulatory requirements in the domestic market . The question is, what are the implications of producing a product outside the scope of accreditation - I've never had this before. Can we have a minor scope ammendment without re audit? Do  we need to re audit?

Hi BottlingQA,

It likely depends on the specifics of yr audited/certified Scope, eg -

Attached File  brc-global-standard-for-food-safety-issue8-faqs.pdf   508.54KB   6 downloads

Also see para 5.2 (pg 81) in the BRC8 Standard

Edited by Charles.C, 10 May 2021 - 03:15 AM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

BottlingQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:19 AM

Thanks Charles - the exemptions FAQ make the BRC position fairly clear. 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,073 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 10 May 2021 - 07:28 AM

Thanks Glenn , approaching the cb would be required I feel. However, as a hypothetical question , does an exemption cover other products produced in a plant which is accredited for some products thereby allowing manufacture of non scope product/s to occur? Must all products be in the scope of accreditation ? As I said, I've never come across this situation before.

BRC is quite specific on the requirements for exclusions - they've got to be clearly differentiated from products within scope, and produced in a separate area of the factory (see "Exclusions from Scope", starting on page 5 of the current standard). If you're making these products on the same line(s) as your existing certified products then you wouldn't generally be permitted to have them listed as an exclusion.

As per Glenn's suggestion, pick up with your CB to talk it through. It may well be that the products are sufficiently similar (e.g. process, HACCP etc) that they can be added to your scope without a further audit.

Might also be worth looking at the wording of your scope at your next audit - never had a problem making these fairly broad (e.g. having "carbonated soft drinks" rather than "cola" and then needing to add lemonade/orangeade if you introduce other varieties), as long as the auditor can reasonably cover the selection you're going with, and they all fit within your BRC categories.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users