Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hello, I have recently been hired by a company that needs to get BRC certified. I will be learning from scratch. What should I expect and is there any literature or something that I can read while I work out my notice for my current job?

Teem

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:56 PM

Congratulations! :)

The obvious starting point would be the BRC manual/guidelines itself which you can get from their website. Alternatively, you can purchase a comprehensive starter pack on here that contains everything you need (templates and all) to help you on your certification journey

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2021 - 03:05 PM

Definitely going thoroughly through the BRC manual applicable to the site.

This will speed up your GAP analysis once you are at the new facility. 

If you are already working in that capacity (new), start going through clause by clause to identify and setup your timeline to accomplish/meet the requirements. This will help you to focus on areas that require more attention as compared to the areas where the site/facility is already ( or close) to compliance.

Going through the BRC forums here is also beneficial.

msgreen

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, I just printed off the Manuel to read. This will be a package company that I am starting work at. They make bags for potato chips and other things. How long would you say it takes to get a good grasp on BRC?

Ieatcookies

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2021 - 05:03 PM

Hi, it was me last year, so I kind of know where you are now. what i would say from myslef:

1. BRC interpretation guidelines were a must for me

2. establish what is the culture in the factory - mine went through few contractors and they were very demotivated, so we had to work on this too. 

3. Establish good QMS filing system 

4. Use this forum

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 May 2021 - 03:13 AM

Hi msgreen,

How long would you say it takes to get a good grasp on BRC?

KEY question(s) - Technical Background / Experience ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

john.kukoly

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 56 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 May 2021 - 12:26 PM

One thing to clarify - you noted you produce packaging, make sure you have the GRCGS Standard for Packaging Materials in hand. The suggestions above are good, additionally there are a few resources on the BRCGS website to get you started. 

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 May 2021 - 02:07 PM

I did this with SQF a few years ago.  It helped that I had a compliance background, even though it was in a totally different field.  I was also sent to several training classes, which really helped me.  This forum is also an amazing resource!  I was a guest for a year an a half before finally becoming a member.

As for timing, a lot of that depends on where the facility already is and how much you have to build up.  My facility had SOPs, but they had never been updated, and on occasion they would refer to SOPs that didn't exist, which I subsequently had to write.  Also, the formatting used for SOPs was all over the board, so I worked to come up with a standard format.

Your starting knowledge base will also impact the speed at which this can be achieved.  I definitely got better as I went along, but that's likely because I was increasing my knowledge base as I went along.  You will likely spend a lot of time reading regulations and food safety articles.  The Friday Food Safety Webinars are a great tool, you can download a spreadsheet with links to all the past webinars.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:58 PM

Hi msgreen,

Any comments ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JohnFiggins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2021 - 09:21 AM

BRCGS also offer a full range of training courses which will take you through the complete Standard.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users