Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

Hello, we just had our SQF audit last week (Edition 9). One of findings was that we did not have proficiency testing for the water activity that we test at our facility (2.9.2.2-Quality Code). This is a new test we have added in the past year. How would I go about doing this proficiency testing so I can correct what we didn't do and continue to make sure its done in the past. We have 3 water activity units (Aqualab 3's) from METER Group. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (We have the training documentation showing all staff were trained on how to use the units)

Edited by Jacob Timperley, 02 June 2021 - 07:25 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:13 PM

for water activity or for testing for employees doing the water testing?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

ESuttmiller

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:16 PM

Honestly based on the clause noted, the employees...but lets assume both just to cover bases. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:21 PM

My question was based on how you wrote out your question.

I was trying to determine if the auditor called it wrong - if he/she said you needed this testing for the water, that would be an error and you could chalkenge that as this testing applies to your employees that lack aoac or similar testing.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

ESuttmiller

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:25 PM

2.9.3.1 Minor The proficiency test of water activity was not available for review at the time of audit. 

This was the specific Quality NC on the report. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

Hello, 

We just had our SQF audit last week (Edition 9). One of findings was that we did not have proficiency testing for the water activity that we test at our facility (2.9.2.2-Quality Code). This is a new test we have added in the past year. How would I go about doing this proficiency testing so I can correct what we didn't do and continue to make sure its done in the past. We have 3 water activity units (Aqualab 3's) from METER Group. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(We have the training documentation showing all staff were trained on how to use the units)

Hi E.Suttmiller,

I sugest you study the SQF Guidance document on "Proficiency Testing" available on their website.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

PQAManager

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 114 posts
  • 27 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:55 PM

We do testing on our water after the carbon block and UV light.  We do in house testing on pH, coliform, and Ecoli.  Then we send off same sample to accredited lab to iso standard.  We also do this for our sink water.  Maybe this will help you

ESuttmiller

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:58 PM

Penny, this is water activity for our product.  Our water is not tested on site and is tested by a 3rd party state run lab. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:01 PM

Penny, this is water activity for our product.  Our water is not tested on site and is tested by a 3rd party state run lab. 

From SQF's Guidance -

A proficiency test is a method used to demonstrate competency and validate a laboratory’s measurement process by comparing the in-house results to the results of a reference laboratory and/ or other participant laboratories

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

ESuttmiller

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 June 2021 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Charles. I think our plan based on what the auditor said and the guidance document is correct. This shouldn't be too hard to fix and adjust moving forward. 

JPresswood

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:38 PM

As a representative from a proficiency testing provider (xxx)  - I would recommend finding a PT sample that allows you to test for water activity in a matrix that is close to the products you produce. I would be happy to discuss this with you, as this is a sample that is available in our catalog in a few different matrices.

If you need one out of round to complete corrective action sooner rather than later, there are some providers - like ours - that offer repeat samples that will allow you to verify the accuracy of your results at any time.

You can also search the EPTIS database for a PT program. This is a great resource for finding appropriate PT samples/rounds.

Edited by Charles.C, 03 June 2021 - 05:25 PM.
advertising deleted

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:28 PM

As a representative from a proficiency testing provider (xxx)  - I would recommend finding a PT sample that allows you to test for water activity in a matrix that is close to the products you produce. I would be happy to discuss this with you, as this is a sample that is available in our catalog in a few different matrices.

If you need one out of round to complete corrective action sooner rather than later, there are some providers - like ours - that offer repeat samples that will allow you to verify the accuracy of your results at any time.

You can also search the EPTIS database for a PT program. This is a great resource for finding appropriate PT samples/rounds.

i think this is a great option.   i have attached the guidance doc that others have referenced.  I believe there are a few ways to meet the requirement. 

Edited by Charles.C, 05 June 2021 - 04:41 AM.
deleted, copyright

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users