Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2021 - 03:35 PM

We had our 2nd SQF audit at the end of March, while we were still under Edition 8.1 (passed with a 92) After our audit, I began updating to Edition 9.0. In mid May, we had our internal audit. We received an NC because our annual SQF system review did not include the Food Safety Culture performance review and any follow up action (new to 9.0).  Our auditor said that because 9.0 came out in September we needed to have it in place.  How can we review something we didn't have in place and didn't implement until after our SQF audit Also, in regards to Food Safety Culture. I have written up a FSC Plan. Auditor is saying we need evidence to support the written plan,and have monthly or quarterly goals. Is this correct?  Does anyone have any hints/ideas/suggestions on this? Thanks!

Richaney Impraseuth

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 June 2021 - 03:38 PM

Just to clarify, 

In mid May, you got a NC on your internal audit for not complying with SQF 9.0?

The SQF 9.0 audits didn't start until may 24 2021 but if your internal audit was based off of edition 9 then what the auditor is probably pointing out was the edition 9 code was available since September.

i believe it was too early for you to go through an internal audit based off the new edition. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

To be clear, you've had an outside party perform your internal audit???????

I agree with BreadHead............way too early, you haven't had time to implement, never mind review effectiveness!

Setting goals is a team effort that does not happen in 8 weeks, and what performance would you have to review?

The process sounds heavy handed to me..........

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

CCSQC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

"To be clear, you've had an outside party perform your internal audit???????"

Correct.  Our consultant performs our internal audits. 
She said because the information was available in September, we should have implemented it already.  Even though we didn't begin prepping for  9.0 until after our SQF Audit in March, AND she did a complete system audit in February to make sure we were ready for the SQF audit and didn't say anything about it at that time.
I think I can get her to reverse that after a bit of explaining.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 June 2021 - 01:57 PM

Wow

ok, she's way off base, just because it was made available, does not mean you should have been ready by now, no one it working on a code revision while also prepping for an audit

You've hired her to see what's missing, issuing NCR on an internal audit is creating issues where non belong. (and you still scored a 92??? not a reflection on you, but on the consultant who "audited" your system?)

Why not just perform internal audits yourself?  Seems like a very costly added expense with very little to show for it.  

Fire her and move on, ignore the NCR, it's toothless and unwarranted

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

CCSQC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

Wow

ok, she's way off base, just because it was made available, does not mean you should have been ready by now, no one it working on a code revision while also prepping for an audit

You've hired her to see what's missing, issuing NCR on an internal audit is creating issues where non belong. (and you still scored a 92??? not a reflection on you, but on the consultant who "audited" your system?)

Why not just perform internal audits yourself?  Seems like a very costly added expense with very little to show for it.  

Fire her and move on, ignore the NCR, it's toothless and unwarranted

I have brought up doing our own IA, however, we are pretty small, and only 2 of us have SQF training. We would essentially be reviewing our own work, which really shouldn't happen.

Our consultant is really good, she knows her stuff, but does deal with a lot of different systems.  I think this time she just got mixed up. I just wanted to double check before talking to her about it. 

Our NC during the SQF audit were very minor and a bit nit-picky. On 2 of the NC, the auditor wanted to see more "SQF"  on a couple of our documents, another auditor probably would have been fine with what we had.  Only one was really warranted and we knew about it going in.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users