The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:22 PM

Hi all! Been a while since I posted here or checked any posts out! It's been very busy at work!  I have a situation which I can't find any answers to on, perhaps someone can help. We have a smoothie blend where we add apple juice to. So on the label it says "Apple Juice" (obviously).  An employee accidently added "Apple Puree" instead. And thought to fix this they added Apple Juice after finding the error. The analytics and flavo are all quite similar but the issue here is ingredients statement on the label of the final product. It does NOT state Apple Puree. Trying to find any FDA juice info on this? Perhaps they have a different naming on puree vs juice? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:27 PM

You added pure and then juice - so, it could be apple juice with pulp.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:31 PM

Our label states ONLY Apple Juice.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

Its a conundrum for sure

the FDA sure doesn't make it easy----I think you need to add the puree as a line item

I looked at a brand I know, this is their ingredient listing

Ingredients: Filtered water, concentrated organic juices (apple and/or grape, orange), organic mango puree, organic natural flavour, citric acid, vitamin C.

or

Apple Juice from Concentrate (40%), Water, Sugar, Mango Purée (10%), Malic Acid, Flavourings, Preservatives (Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Metabisulphite), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Stabiliser (Pectin).

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 08 June 2021 - 02:02 PM

FWIW, for the purposes of the Juice HACCP regs, puree is a juice. I don't recall seeing anything quite so explicit on the labelling front - is it too much to hope that there is logical consistency between the HACCP reg and the labelling side of things? :ejut:

"Juice means the aqueous liquid expressed or extracted from one or more fruits or vegetables, purees of the edible portions of one or more fruits or vegetables, or any concentrates of such liquid or puree."

See https://www.fda.gov/...accp-regulation

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 08 June 2021 - 07:02 PM

So....I'll tell you in my experience with fruit bases you need to list BOTH on the ingredient dec.  However, I am unsure of the exact FDA labeling regulation requiring it.  I found this relating to tomatoes and labeling tomato puree, tomato concentrate, tomato paste interchangeably on the ingredient declaration.

https://www.accessda....cfm?fr=155.191

Hmmm...also this definition that falls under "applicability" of Juice HACCP leads me to believe they are defined as separate ingredients.

https://www.accessda...ch.cfm?fr=120.1

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users