• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does the back-up SQF practitioner need training in HACCP and FSMA?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

ral491994

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 July 2021 - 03:14 PM

Hi all, it seems that a back up practitioner needs to be trained in FSMA & HACCP in the USA related to SQF. Is this correct? Seems expensive.... to cover similar practices..

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 July 2021 - 05:23 PM

Hey not sure what you are asking, but it seems like you are referring to SQF practitioner. If so yes you need one person on your team to be an SQF practitioner in addition to HACCP/ PCQI. The reason being is that SQF level is a bit more in depth than a general GMP or HACCP system. Expensive yes, but it does not need to be renewed so it is a one time expense. There are also vast differences between HACCP/ SQF so I would not assume it is covering similar practices. You will also want someone who is knowledgeable in the system otherwise it will quickly become a nightmare lol 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 08 July 2021 - 11:45 AM

Hi all, it seems that a back up practitioner needs to be trained in FSMA & HACCP in the USA related to SQF. Is this correct? Seems expensive.... to cover similar practices..

You're talking about two separate things. For federal regulations in the USA, you need need to be trained in HACCP or FSMA depending on what you make. You should have at least one more person trained as a backup. This is required.

For SQF, which is not required federally in the US but helpful, is separate. Again, it is good to have a backup as well.

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2021 - 12:02 PM

Agreed with the other responses. For an SQF Practitioner, the only requirement (other than being generally knowledgeable in SQF and the systems in place) is being HACCP certified which is the equivalent to a 2 day or 16 hour HACCP course.  I just certified my backup SQF practitioner (who was already a PCQI) by signing him up for an online HACCP program which was the equivalent to a 16 hour in person course. He earned a certificate and our auditor asked for his credentials to be the back up as well as mine for being the practitioner. 

Hope this information helps. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users