• Quick Navigation
Photo

Handwashing Stations and Hand Sanitizer?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

RDM_Rep

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

Hello all, plastic packaging manufacturer here preparing for SQF certification. We recently installed a handwashing station at the entrance to our production area (just outside men's room). Due to the layout of the building, we can't really install any additional stations for the operators working towards the back of the production area (probably a 30 second from the handwashing station). I was considering installing some hand sanitizer stations for those "remote" production areas and shipping, but employees all must wash their hands before beginning work so now I'm wondering if this is overkill? Additionally, we don't have space to install a handwashing station outside the women's restroom. Would having hand sanitizer at the exit be enough, or do we need to have the women walk around to the handwashing station after using the restroom? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,502 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:54 PM

Every employee will have to wash there hands when entering production areas

Hand sanitizer throughout is a good idea.......particularly when it's a hike to the sink

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2021 - 12:17 PM

As long as every employee goes through that one entrance into the production area and uses that hand washing sink you are good. Make sure it's labeled for 'Hand Washing Only'. If there are other entrances into production where employees could potentially skip hand washing the auditor may question it but again, as long as all employees are trained to use that entrance and that sink prior to entering production you should be fine. 

Hand sanitizing stations throughout the facility and production are always a good idea. 

TaraMcKinzie

Grade - AIFSQN

• 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:50 PM

We have hand washing stations at each production entrance and hand sanitizer dispensers outside of each production room.  It is written into our SOP that every time employees change gloves they have to handwash/sanitize so we wanted to eliminate downtime of someone walking all the way to the entrances to wash their hands (especially since glove changes can be up to four to five times an hour depending on what area they are working in.)

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 July 2021 - 06:29 PM

Just a caution on the sanitizing make sure the sanitizer does not have any additives in it, like aloe of Vitamin E that stay on the skin.  These would not be approved.

RDM_Rep

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 July 2021 - 08:17 PM

Just a caution on the sanitizing make sure the sanitizer does not have any additives in it, like aloe of Vitamin E that stay on the skin.  These would not be approved.

Thank you all for your response. Does anyone know if the above is the only criteria to make a hand sanitizer "food grade"? I'm not finding much information online to clarify. 

Additionally, our womans restroom is on the opposite end of the hand washing station. To confirm, I'm understanding that a handsanitizer station outside of the women's restroom would be enough to eliminate the need for the ladies to walk around to the handwashing station after the use the restroom?

AC2018

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 50 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:43 AM

No, restroom sinks are different from processing room hand washing sinks. They still need to wash their hands in the designated hand washing sink in the processing area. 

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:02 PM

If I might ask, Is it a space issue or a drain issue? Could you install small, sump type handwashing sinks in your production areas? We have installed about 8 of these (22,800 sf facility) and they work great. Sanitizing, in my understanding, is to be used if the soaps you use are not antibacterial. Also, to my knowledge, nearly all hand sanitizers have glycerin in them, which isn't necessarily a big deal, but wouldn't you need to know if the glycerin used in it is food grade? Or does being 70% or more alcohol solve that issue?

RDM_Rep

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2021 - 07:24 PM

If I might ask, Is it a space issue or a drain issue? Could you install small, sump type handwashing sinks in your production areas? We have installed about 8 of these (22,800 sf facility) and they work great. Sanitizing, in my understanding, is to be used if the soaps you use are not antibacterial. Also, to my knowledge, nearly all hand sanitizers have glycerin in them, which isn't necessarily a big deal, but wouldn't you need to know if the glycerin used in it is food grade? Or does being 70% or more alcohol solve that issue?

It is both a space and drain issue as our facility doesn't actually have any drainage and space is limited. This also means the handwashing station can only go towards the entrance of production (large rectangle) so I'm trying to reduce walks to the sink for our operators working in the rear. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users