Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 90 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 July 2021 - 04:58 PM

My current company joined a coop, while I was initially told I would have nothing to do for the COOP, now they want me to create specs and nutritionals for the COOP, can I refuse? Or could I ask for additional compensation?

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,599 posts
  • 369 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:07 PM

What is your job title? 

Most jobs have an 'as assigned' aspect to them, so yes, you can say no...but there may be repercussions.  Depending on the size of your company and your position, it may actually be part of your job.

-Setanta         

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:24 PM

IS there a signed contract.........what does it say you are responsible for?

this happens all the time-------------I wouldn't refuse, but would absolutely explain why my compensation needed to change

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 15 July 2021 - 05:40 PM

When taking on new roles - this can be used as leverage for when your review happens. Helps with getting the maximum allowed raise.

Like others have said - many of us have had new roles/jobs assigned to us. Could you use this as a way to get more hours/overtime if you are hourly?

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 21 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

You can choose to do anything you wish....that's the beauty of free will.  However, there are consequences, good or bad.  Others have already given good advice.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 July 2021 - 03:26 PM

You need to look at your employment contract - might  contain something along the lines of "...and any other task the company deems...  which means they can load you up with all sorts of things.

I actually had an interesting situation years ago with a company that changed my status from independent contractor (this was acceptable to me at the time) to full time SQF/3rd Party Audit Manager, gave me a salary of about $150,000 and benefits - everything was nicely laid out in an employment contract (people wonder why I hate being an employee) and it clearly showed the ins and outs of doing my job as a cross-country auditor - pretty much 1 a day and all the admin/travel that comes with it.

Everything was great for about 6 months and then they wanted me to travel on Sunday instead of Monday and do try to fly home late Friday night or early Saturday was the message I got - then they started loading extra audits in on a daily basis.

Finally I found myself stressing, not keeping up and then they fired me.  I had an attorney review my employment contract prior to the firing... yes, indeed I sued the company big time and won.

So fine tooth comb you employment contract.

Edited by SQFconsultant, 27 July 2021 - 03:33 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users