Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

Hi everyone, during the traceability exercise for Costco during our audit, the auditor asked for us to pull the receiving material inspection records for raw material received, sanitation records for the machines that converted the product, and the outgoing material inspections for the materials being shipped. He included this in the 2 hour time limit for the traceability exercise. We've never been asked to include these records in the timed portion of any customer exercise before (only the basic raw material PO information, what production jobs it was used on, and the quantities shipped and where they went to), it's never been asked by Costco before, and I can't see that's it's specifically required by Costco unless it's been changed since this time last year. Can anyone confirm if this is actually a requirement of Costco? TIA!

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

Not my experience either---this is directly from our audit report

"The on-site traceability exercise will be used to assess the effectiveness of the product

recall program. The traceability exercise program must include the distribution of specific product lots,
raw ingredients, and primary packaging."

So the only portion that is weird is asking for the sanitation records---unless something has changed since April

It also goes onto say..........auditors discretion.............which grants a lot of latitude unfortunately

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:30 PM

Auditor has freedom to ask for anything he/she feels is needed.

Costco doesn't say how long our blades of grass need to be, but their audit report may include that landscaping should be in good condition, etc. 

Things change, be prepared for anything.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,608 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 July 2021 - 02:41 PM

Hi everyone,

During the traceability exercise for Costco during our audit, the auditor asked for us to pull the receiving material inspection records for raw material received, sanitation records for the machines that converted the product, and the outgoing material inspections for the materials being shipped. He included this in the 2 hour time limit for the traceability exercise. We've never been asked to include these records in the timed portion of any customer exercise before (only the basic raw material PO information, what production jobs it was used on, and the quantities shipped and where they went to), it's never been asked by Costco before, and I can't see that's it's specifically required by Costco unless it's been changed since this time last year.

Can anyone confirm if this is actually a requirement of Costco?

TIA!

Maybe framing it with the records we would use to (possibly) provide Costco with the info requested will help.

1. We have Incoming Inspection Forms filled out by our receiving dept.

2. We have the Pre-operational Checklists from that day's production that would show the equipment has been sanitized and approved for production.

3. We would use the Outgoing Trailer Inspections, showing the loads were undamaged and good to go into a properly temped trailer

Do you have things like this?

Edited by Setanta, 29 July 2021 - 02:42 PM.

-Setanta         

FSQA MKE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 15 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Environmental Monitoring, FSVP, HACCP, Microbiology, Food Safety, Literature, Tennis, GFSI Solutions

Posted 29 July 2021 - 03:37 PM

Tia,

The receiving & outgoing product documentation, I understand why the auditor would ask.
However, the sanitation records deal seems like its outside the scope in regards to the traceability portion.

Was this a new/younger auditor?

Providing solutions for food manufacturing companies in achieving regulatory compliance, GFSI standard implementation, environmental monitoring solutions, and HACCP development.

foodsafety@email.com

https://foodsafetymuse.com

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:06 PM

That's exactly the requirements of Costco Addendum audit - I've just been through it couple days ago. Everything what you've said within 2 hours. Actually, I've been doing it for 5 years since we started working for Costco.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:36 PM

I'm guessing that olenzah and tezza had the same auditor............not that many in Canada so odds are......

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:41 PM

Mine is from SGS, auditing for FSSC22000 & Costco Addendum. All these years - same agenda. I never found it difficult to do traceability exercise within 2 hours, actually, I was finished in 1 hour. Doing everything myself. However, the difficulty might be in quantity of ingredients in a product for traceability exercise. My Costco product for traceability - honey yogurt, 12 items to trace (ingredients and packaging)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:50 PM

But did you have to also provide sanitation documentation as tezza did?

I did not, same as you, zero request for sanitation docs or pre op  NSF auditor

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:57 PM

She requested production records with ingred/packaging lot codes, sanitation records, including CIP charts, related OPRP records (I have 4 OPRPs), shipping docs (where products did go), receiving records for 3 ingredients, and COAs for those 3 ingredients. 

tezza07

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 July 2021 - 05:58 PM

That's exactly the requirements of Costco Addendum audit - I've just been through it couple days ago. Everything what you've said within 2 hours. Actually, I've been doing it for 5 years since we started working for Costco.

We did in the 2 hour window with no issue, we always do, but this is the first time an auditor has asked for sanitation records related to the product being recalled. I was asking if it's normal to include sanitation records as I've never had any auditor ask for it in my history of doing this. We have been doing Costco for at least 10 years (how long I've been with this company).

Also to add to it, this is the same auditor who did our SQF/Costco addendum audit last year, and he never asked for them during last year's trace, which is why I was wondering if it was a new requirement that we just didn't know about.

Our auditor is with NSF, so don't think it's the same auditor who did olenazh.

Maybe framing it with the records we would use to (possibly) provide Costco with the info requested will help.

1. We have Incoming Inspection Forms filled out by our receiving dept.

2. We have the Pre-operational Checklists from that day's production that would show the equipment has been sanitized and approved for production.

3. We would use the Outgoing Trailer Inspections, showing the loads were undamaged and good to go into a properly temped trailer

Do you have things like this?

We have these kinds of documents so we produced them with no issues. I was just curious if it was a new requirement or not, as it seemed unrelated to traceability.

Thanks everyone!

WowQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:39 PM

We have done the Costco addendum as part of our BRC audit for the past several years. The auditor asks for all these documents as part of the traceability exercise. He calls it a vertical audit, which gives the full picture from receiving to production to shipping and everything else along the way. I'm not sure if it's the audit requirements, or just his way of getting a sample of all the documentation associated with production, including sanitation, maintenance, etc. He also wants to see the supplier approval for the raw materials (ingredients and packaging), proof of acceptability for food contact packaging, etc. So it does become quite an exercise. Make sure your records are easily accessible ^_^

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:22 PM

All....feel free to push back on an auditor in a nice way.  I would say any record that is not related to the traceability is not part of the exercise.  It is clearly stated in Costco requirement it is a "traceability exercise".  If they want to modify their scope and requirements that's one thing, but the auditor shouldn't be asking or requiring more than what is stated on the Costco audit requirements.

I've been through over 10 of these Costco audits and never has an auditor asked for sanitation or production records that were not part of the item traceability.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:53 AM

Auditor has freedom to ask for anything he/she feels is needed.

Costco doesn't say how long our blades of grass need to be, but their audit report may include that landscaping should be in good condition, etc. 

Things change, be prepared for anything.

Hi SQFC,

Freedom yes.

Agreement not so much. And not always so nicely. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users