Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:28 AM

Morning everyone, I have a potential client (Packhouse) that require me to do their BRC Food Safety Internal Audit which will based on the BRC Food Safety Issue 8 Checklist. They also require me to sign off their audits as per the BRC requirement. Is there any issues if I conduct the Audit I am an FSSC 22000 Audit but have experience of working with BRC standard? How much doe you charge for this service?

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:56 PM

BRC just says that the internal auditor must be competent, and without conflict of interest. We have the food safety director at another plant using a different standard performing our internal audits without issue.

lloyds

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:40 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for your insight, last question does the auditor require to have completed a BRC Auditor course or is FSSC 22000 and ISO 9001:2015 Lead Auditor course sufficient?

Duncan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:01 PM

Clause 3.4.2. just states that auditors have to be appropriately trained and competent:

"Internal audits shall be carried out by appropriately trained, competent auditors. Auditors shall be independent (e.g. not audit their own work)."

I have worked for food manufacturers and carried out audits on the strength of internally-delivered training (so no accredited training), and I have carried out internal audits based on externally sourced training which resulted in a kind of certificate of attendance, but no substantial auditing qualification. In both cases, my audits have been accepted as valid at our site's BRCGS audit.

It can be quite a good thing if your internal auditing team leader has a more substantive qualification, but in my experience there are no defined measures for 'appropriately trained and competent' - so if you can demonstrate any training and the completed audits are conducted satisfactorily (i.e. do not suffer deficiencies caused by a lack of competency on the part of the auditor), then that is sufficient for compliance.

FOOD PORTAL - The web portal dedicated to the food industry

Food Portal provides a range of systems and tools for food manufacturers.

Resource Library - Culture Survey - Confidential Reporting - Supplier Directory - Blog

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users