Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 08:45 PM

Hello, I am currently on a team trying to get SQF certified. The 9th edition of the manual states that we have to test for possible backflow. Does this mean that we have to test for backflow in our restrooms and water fountains, or just for sink areas used in the manufacturing process?

Edited by Jacob Timperley, 12 August 2021 - 10:49 AM.

johnmcip

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 16 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:01 PM

I'm not sure what SQF says, but my understanding of BRC is that backflow prevention devices must be installed in a manner that prevents backflow, and those devices themselves must be inspected on a certain basis (I think "based on risk").

Are you sure SQF isn't telling you to test the devices themselves?

In addition, backflow doesn't just effect the small segment around the backflow incident. Backflow has the potential to contaminate the entire plant water system. All water outlets must not allow backflow, whichever method you use.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gracezy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 09:22 PM

Hello!

We just finished having SQF 9 audit a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure what each city's requirement is. The city's public Utilities department in California requires us to have their backflow devices tested by a certified tester at least annually to ensure that drinking water comply with all applicable federal and state drinking warter standard or/if repared.

We have 3 locations outside of our facilities. I beleive you have to test all the main blacflow devices that the water is coming from. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,671 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:40 PM

Inspect, test, repair or replace the backflow devices you have in place.

I have only once seen a water fountain with a backflow device and no itcwas not subject tobtesting, however they decides to dobit anyway and found it minerialized to the point of needing replacement.

Also this is an excellent time to ensure that water lines that need backflow devices have them.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:22 PM

You need to work with your maintenance/engineering people to determine where the backflow devices are located and if you need to add anymore devices.  They are needed on any line where there is potential for hazardous water to flow back into the potable water supply.  Hazardous water can be effluent, drainage in the plant, even from drinking water fountains and handwash stations.  Most of these areas have an air gap and thus do not require a backflow prevention device.  What you typically run into trouble with is adding any liquid injections (food ingredients and/or sanitation chemicals) into a water stream like a pipe or hose that is downstream of the main water supply.  You would need to have some type of backflow prevention just prior to the injection point.

YNA QA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 17 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Crochet, Reading, Animals, Football

Posted 11 August 2021 - 10:19 PM

We have our general facility tested by the local water company for proper backflow prevention at the two main lines going into our two buildings.  This has worked for our SQF auditors, as we have the air gap for all other water sources. 

However, we had an FDA audit by a local state auditor (who specialized in restaurant inspections) and she wrote us up for not having backflow devices for each spigot and we had to install them all over the plant.  I argued that this was not a food production facility requirement, but she was having none of it.  Easy fix though. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 12 August 2021 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, I've gone through that with a local inspector who said the same even though it wasn't a requirement.  He pointed out that if we leave a the end of a hose in a pool of water, a tub, or a tank with water there is potential for the water to flow back into the hose.

We have our general facility tested by the local water company for proper backflow prevention at the two main lines going into our two buildings.  This has worked for our SQF auditors, as we have the air gap for all other water sources. 

However, we had an FDA audit by a local state auditor (who specialized in restaurant inspections) and she wrote us up for not having backflow devices for each spigot and we had to install them all over the plant.  I argued that this was not a food production facility requirement, but she was having none of it.  Easy fix though. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users