Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2021 - 03:54 PM

What have you done to comply with 10.6.1.1? Our site uses well water that we test annually against e.coli and coliforms. I am curious how others have implemented a water supply/contingency plan. Did you make a map to outline the map of the water system? What will you do in the event of water contamination in your potable water lines/sources? Thank you in advance.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:37 PM

What have you done to comply with 10.6.1.1? Our site uses well water that we test annually against e.coli and coliforms. I am curious how others have implemented a water supply/contingency plan. Did you make a map to outline the map of the water system? 

What will you do in the event of water contamination in your potable water lines/sources?

Thank you in advance.

^^^^(red) - Correct it ? (BCPAR???)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Juribe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:44 PM

^^^^(red) - Correct it ? (BCPAR???)

Obviously any deviations must be corrected. Have you read 10.6.1.1? It states a contingency plan is required, writing 'correct it' will not suffice. Also, how are you outlining your flow of the water system? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:47 PM

I would add

A) annual testing of well water is not sufficient. Period

B) you do need a plan     truck in water/co packer to take on your volume etc etc etc

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2021 - 04:48 PM

A generic query is often associated with a generic answer.

The (self-evident ?) answer is an alternative supply.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jkoratich712

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 99 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food, books, bakeries, coffee, HACCP, sanitation

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:03 PM

We went through this exercise about 5 years ago when our owner directed us to determine contingency plans for water. Both of our facilities use a public water source. We started out by having a plan to bring water in by tanker trucks. This included (1) sourcing trucks that could hall the water, (2) sourcing potable water source, (3) having measures in place to actually unload the water, (4) sourcing temporary hand wash sinks. We had a listing of the items for 1 and 2 to reference in the event we needed to use the plan.

In the mean time, both facilities also worked to tie into a second public water source, which is now our contingency. In the event that one source has an issue we flip a switch (there is probably more to it then just a switch) to utilize the other source. This may be more on the extreme side and it absolutely helped that the owner was driving this, rather then food safety/sqf audit requirement. I keep records of water potability for both sources on file. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:24 PM

Hi Juribe,

JFI my SQF Food ed 9 has this topic in section 11.5.1.2

Different Standard ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Juribe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:34 PM

Hi Juribe,

JFI my SQF Food ed 9 has this topic in section 11.5.1.2

Different Standard ?

Must be a different standard , we operate under 'Primary Plant Production' Module 10.

10.6.1.1 states:" A water supply plan shall be prepared that describes the water sources and the operational areas they serve and shall include the location of water sources, permanent fixtures, and the flow of the water system. The plan shall be kept current and revised when changes occur.

Contingency plans shall be in place for instances when the potable water supply is deemed to be contaminated or otherwise inappropriate for use."

This is a new standard for us for edition 9. I was looking for clarification on how to outline the flow of the water system. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:24 PM

Only once a year you test?

We test every month.

We have a sealed alternate well that we can open up for emergency usage (once cleared by a local inspector at time of opening.)

Most of our clients with wells test quarterly, every two months a couple every month.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:30 PM

Must be a different standard , we operate under 'Primary Plant Production' Module 10.

10.6.1.1 states:" A water supply plan shall be prepared that describes the water sources and the operational areas they serve and shall include the location of water sources, permanent fixtures, and the flow of the water system. The plan shall be kept current and revised when changes occur.

Contingency plans shall be in place for instances when the potable water supply is deemed to be contaminated or otherwise inappropriate for use."

This is a new standard for us for edition 9. I was looking for clarification on how to outline the flow of the water system. 

No Problem. Afaik this forum was initially intended for Food Manufacturing but nothing available for Primary etc so  "A Stitch in Time ...."  :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Juribe

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:42 PM

Only once a year you test?

We test every month.

We have a sealed alternate well that we can open up for emergency usage (once cleared by a local inspector at time of opening.)

Most of our clients with wells test quarterly, every two months a couple every month.

Yes, however we are a seasonal operation that only operates our processing facility for about 3-months out of the year. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 August 2021 - 07:13 PM

Once/year still isn't enough. If you test in the 1st month of production, how do you know it was okay for the rest?  At minimum you need to aim for beginning and end  (but once/month would be best)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users