• Quick Navigation
Photo

What is enough for record keeping for the first BRC-GS audit?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Pipsa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 12:21 PM

Hi! This 3 months records before audit: does it mean e.g. if we have different work instructions, and at the end of these documents are training records, that all these kind of records has to be in use for 3 months before certificate audit? Or is it enough, that we have started filling training records for one of these instructions records 3 months before audit, and in this case rest of the instruction training record fillings are started 1..2 months before audit?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,492 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:36 PM

The training records will not be the deciding factor

You should ideally target between 3 and 6 months of operational documentation

You need enough on file to prove that you can consistently meet the requirements of the GFSI

So yes, you should have your employees signed off on training, but what about CCP documentation, or storage conditions or GMPS?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Pipsa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 13 October 2021 - 01:56 PM

Hi! Thank you for Your reply!!

We have internal audits, senior management commitment, etc running already. CCP documentation and GMPS training is about to start. So I was interested if it is enough, that first training is recorded to be taken 3 months before certificate audit, or do all training materials need to be recorded to be trained 3 months before certification audit?

seanpaulrader

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:57 PM

In my experience with BRC (Storage & Distribution, mainly) training did not need to be completed 3 months prior to the audit. We worked with many temporary employees, so many employees hadn't even been there 3 months.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,492 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 October 2021 - 02:58 PM

All training should be in place prior to audit.   Particularly if you have a CCP and for the sampling plan

Think of it this way, you cannot designate people to do a thing, until you've trained them on that thing otherwise all your other documentation is moot

crystalQC

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Traveling, Spanish + Mandarin + Korean language, Cosmetics, Nutrition.

Posted 13 October 2021 - 04:39 PM

imex; for BRC, our auditor specifically looked for training to be completed and/or scheduled by our audit date. 

But for job specific duties, HACCP, GMP, CCPs [probably some more pre-reqs but can't remember at the moment], this was needed before audit regardless. Like Scampi said above, they need to be trained before they do a thing. 

Pipsa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 14 October 2021 - 06:38 AM

Uuh. Maybe I have to practice more how to ask to get the answer I need ;D because I did not get the answer I needed. I need to define, when the certification audit could be at the earliest. I did not mean, that all workers should be trained, we also have many short time working persons. I meant, that if we assume training program (consisting of many parts) is the latest program we start to run when implementing BRC-GS, is the 3 months to certification audit date calculated from the date when the first training part is held (in this case of course, other training parts are held before certification date). Or is it calculated from the last training part date? Training is divided in many parts, because there is too much training material to be instructed to workers at one day.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,492 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:40 PM

You're training schedule will have nothing to due with your audit date

How Do I Prepare for a BRC Audit?

As with pursuing any type of GFSI certification, you can prepare your facility by making sure your recordkeeping practices are current and effective. Here are some additional tips for navigating BRC audit prep.

1. Perform a self-assessment.

Self-assessments are effective ways to catch any food safety or quality issues before auditors do. You can uncover gaps during an audit performed by an independent third party, or use a food safety management system such as SafetyChain to hold an internal assessment.

2. Choose a CB.

Next, find a CB using the BRC’s directory. Select one that seems like it will be a good fit for your facility.

3. Set a date.

Once you’ve chosen an auditor, the next step is to schedule the audit. Be mindful of key considerations, such as which staff members should be present, and what time frame is best based on your operations and time of year. Additionally, remember that re-audits will be held six months or one year after your certification score is released.

4. Get senior management involved.

As discussed above, senior management is expected to play a key role in BRC compliance. Your leadership team should therefore be present during the opening and closing meetings, at the very least.

5. Ensure all documents are readily available.

Auditors will need to review your HACCP plan as well as other key documentation supporting your food safety program. You won’t want to be digging through filing cabinets and binders with the auditor present, so make sure all of your information is gathered in advance. Food safety audit systems keep your facility ready for audits 24/7 by centralizing all of your records in a single place.

6. Assess your traceability.

Traceability is a core principle in GFSI programs, so an auditor will likely perform traceability tests during their assessment. Be sure to do the same during your practice audit to ensure preparedness.

https://blog.safetyc...xpect-brc-audit

Thanked by 1 Member:

Abby7

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 October 2021 - 05:03 PM

Hello:

In my experience, your  documented training schedule needs to be in place and active for 3 - 6 months prior to the audit date, but as training needs can be considered as ongoing, it isn't ever fully complete.

That said, the exception would be, if the facility and all employees were new - then the statements above certainly holds true - that employees can't be designated to do something, until they are trained.

We haven't had issues with some of the training documentation being completed within a few weeks of the audit.

Perhaps, we have been 'lucky'!?!.

All the best with your audit!!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users