Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Finland
    Finland

Posted 15 October 2021 - 08:08 AM

BRC-GS Fresh Produce states its scope "..The Standard ends at the point where the packed product leaves the site premises. The auditor will examine all procedures and
facilities throughout the whole process up to the dispatch of packed goods. The Standard does not cover storage and
distribution by third parties, as this is covered in the BRC Global Standard for Storage and Distribution." By this I understand, that we do not need ti cover third-party transportation-temperature controlled storing-transportation to customers with this standard.

In BRC-GS Food Safety I did not find any ending scope for the standard. Our packed cold products are transported by third-party to their temperature controlled cold rooms, and then transported from there to our clients. I wonder if we need to cover all processes until our products meet customers i.e. should we e.g. audit this third-party contractor for transportation and temperature control until the products meet customers? Or does the std scope end till third-party unpacks our products from their vehicles?

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:59 AM

The scope of the certification only covers your own activities, so if you're not doing your own transport then it can't include this element.

You'd therefore be expected to assess and approve your transport provider(s) and any external storage companies you're using, to ensure that they're suitably competent, aren't doing anything that poses a risk to your products etc.

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 October 2021 - 05:52 PM

One other thing to determine is if you fund and arrange the shipping or if your customer does (stateside we call this CPU, or customer pick up). If BRC is anything like SQF, than the bulk of responsibility of assessing and approving the transport providers falls on the entity funding and arranging for them.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users