KBMB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 68 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2021 - 05:09 PM

Hello all,

We are trying to introduce compressed air onto one of our packaging lines.  The compressed air will be used to blow air into our bags before product (cookies) are dropped in. We are a bakery and low risk.  The filters are 0.01 micron.  

I know that before we can use this new process, we need to validate that the compressed air is safe for use.

However, I am new to this and have no idea where to start.

I am not sure what to test for and how and how frequently before we can start using the air.

Do we test the air on a sponge? on a plate?

Do we have to send the finished product for testing?

Ho frequently do we have to conduct the testing?

What should we be testing for?

I am at a loss.

Please help.

Any direction, advise or information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

KBMB

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:06 PM

Attached is a presentation over the use of compressed air in food facilities; it's from the 2018 SQF conference.

Attached File  Scherer_-_Compressed_Air.pdf   3.14MB   31 downloads

Edited by Spidey, 01 November 2021 - 06:06 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

Attached is a presentation over the use of compressed air in food facilities; it's from the 2018 SQF conference.

attachicon.gif Scherer_-_Compressed_Air.pdf

Hi Spidey,

It's a nice document (thks) but I think the (SQF) filtration data shown is incorrect (thrice), eg the filtration recommended in SQF 8.1 guidance is 0.01 micron, not 0.1 micron.

Edited by Charles.C, 02 November 2021 - 04:54 AM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:39 PM

Hi Spidey,

It's a nice document (thks) but I think the (SQF) filtration data shown is incorrect (twice), eg the filtration recommended in SQF 8.1 guidance is 0.01 micron, not 0.1 micron.

I didn't write the presentation, I got it from attending the 2018 SQF Conference, as it states in my original post.

I posted it because it was relevant to the question about compressed air and it was a resource that I had on my computer.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2021 - 06:49 PM

I didn't write the presentation, I got it from attending the 2018 SQF Conference, as it states in my original post.

I posted it because it was relevant to the question about compressed air and it was a resource that I had on my computer.

Hi Spidey,

Yes I realise you didn't write it.

Just noting the errors..

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 November 2021 - 05:09 AM

Hello all,

We are trying to introduce compressed air onto one of our packaging lines.  The compressed air will be used to blow air into our bags before product (cookies) are dropped in. We are a bakery and low risk.  The filters are 0.01 micron.  

I know that before we can use this new process, we need to validate that the compressed air is safe for use.

However, I am new to this and have no idea where to start.

I am not sure what to test for and how and how frequently before we can start using the air.

Do we test the air on a sponge? on a plate?

Do we have to send the finished product for testing?

Ho frequently do we have to conduct the testing?

What should we be testing for?

I am at a loss.

Please help.

Any direction, advise or information you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

KBMB

Hi KBMB,

A simple answer (albeit maybe somewhat overkill) would be to hire a Service to do it for you such as the one here -

https://www.ifsqn.co...race-analytics/

The basic requirements are illustrated in attachment of Post 2 above although previous SQF posts suggest some other items may be occasionally requested, eg sedimentation counts.

An older (2012) illustration of (probably similar to current) SQF requirements is given in attachment sh5 in this post - 

https://www.ifsqn.co...ent/#entry81054

PS - Note that the Guidance material for SQF ver9 includes methods to evaluate ambient air (not compressed air) which are also quite informative.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 693 posts
  • 229 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

We use air to clear the surface of our cartons as they are glued to help apply windows more accurately. We have changed all compressors over to food grade lubes and change the point of use filters annually. We perform yeast and mold plate sampling at each point of use as well. Establish the acceptable range and mitigation if it is high. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users