• Quick Navigation
Photo

What controls are required when RTE and baked are produced in the same facility?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

fchauhan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 01:31 PM

Hi,

I am working on a product that is "Ready to eat'. Ingredients (all are RTE) are mixed and formed in a sphere and coated in chocolate. The co-manufacturer making this product also makes cookies in the same facility and on same extrusion/enrobing line.

RTE is new product category for them and they are looking at how to implement CCPs on this type of RTE product.

My suggestion based on advice given to me was segregation of ingredients in warehousing (RTE ingredients vs raw flour), during mixing/batching (no other 'raw flour' product could be mixed - to avoid flour dust).

Can anyone suggest if these are appropriate or not?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 November 2021 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I am working on a product that is "Ready to eat'. Ingredients (all are RTE) are mixed and formed in a sphere and coated in chocolate. The co-manufacturer making this product also makes cookies in the same facility and on same extrusion/enrobing line.

RTE is new product category for them and they are looking at how to implement CCPs on this type of RTE product.

My suggestion based on advice given to me was segregation of ingredients in warehousing (RTE ingredients vs raw flour), during mixing/batching (no other 'raw flour' product could be mixed - to avoid flour dust).

Can anyone suggest if these are appropriate or not?

Hi fchauhan,

Cookies are not RTE ?

Assuming you are familiar with haccp, etc, you need to some some detailed  BCPA risk assessment based on the process steps/process flow/environment/cross contamination.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,537 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

I'm with Charles..........super confused by your post

how are you ingredients processed by your suppliers?

The other copacker does make an RTE product already-------but I will caution you both on introducing chocolate (unless you mean that fake "chocolatey" stuff).........it has some very specific risks that neither facility will be used too

as far as the movement of potentially contaminated flour dust, i'd be more concerned with allergen cross contamination, something you've not mentioned

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

fchauhan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 04:57 PM

Yes, cookies are RTE once baked.

My product has no processing 'kill' step. The only control is CoA verification of incoming materials. My ingredients has stricter requirements compared to the ones going into a baked/ processed (with 'kill' step) product.

Any one with the experience of 2 different product categories in one plant?

fchauhan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:03 PM

I'm with Charles..........super confused by your post

how are you ingredients processed by your suppliers?

The other copacker does make an RTE product already-------but I will caution you both on introducing chocolate (unless you mean that fake "chocolatey" stuff).........it has some very specific risks that neither facility will be used too

as far as the movement of potentially contaminated flour dust, i'd be more concerned with allergen cross contamination, something you've not mentioned

All my ingredients are treated and have RTE status.

I am using compound chocolate (dairy free) so the risk is minimized.

Facility is allergen free and all products produced are also allergen free so no risk of allergen cross contamination. Gluten (wheat flour) is the only allergen used. My product is listed with gluten cross contact so i am not concerned with that.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,537 posts
  • 1518 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:07 PM

Got it

Generally speaking, those would not be processed in the same physical space, you'd have a room dedicated to the stricter controls required

If they cannot do that, then the next best thing would be a designated (preferably first production day of the week) RTE day or 1/2 day so the the sanitation team would have the opportunity it deep clean prior to running RTE using the same equipment (mixers etc)

You would need to segregate the warehouse and colour code everything

Cross reference incoming lots codes of treated ingredients and record each one on the batch record. This product would be best in the facility, to be put on a hold and release program giving the QA manager the opportunity to review all of the input ingredients to ensure no raw went through before releasing them for shipping

And EVERYONE in that facility needs trained on how important it is to keep the RTE ingredients segregated. 

Allergens.......the cookies they make don't use egg either? or butter?  

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

ESuttmiller

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 31 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2021 - 05:26 PM

Must be some bland cookie products......

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users