• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:41 PM

Goodmorning All,

wanted to check if maintenance workshop is part of production? can management go in the maintenance workshop with uniform (protective clothing)?

Thanks in advance

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 06 December 2021 - 04:57 PM

It's going to depend on the specific setup of your plant, what your requirements are, what your risk assessment has determined for protective clothing etc., but at face value the idea of wearing factory clothing in a maintenance area and then presumably wearing the same clothes to go directly back into the production area is something that would make me very nervous.

Is the maintenance area kept to the same standard of hygiene as the production areas? Is maintenance not the maintenance not likely to be undertaking activities of a sort that would generate (lots of) potential foreign bodies, of a sort that you definitely don't want to be carried back into production areas on the outside of the clothing? For example, it's really easy to lean against a work surface covered in metal filings, pick a load of them up on the back of your coat, and spread them everywhere you then walk.

Even if you allowed the clothing to be worn in maintenance but insisted on a change before re-entering production, it seems to me that this would be very difficult to control/police.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:01 PM

Goodmorning All,

wanted to check if maintenance workshop is part of production? can management go in the maintenance workshop with uniform (protective clothing)?

Thanks in advance

Just as an extension of Post2, is the "workshop" situated within the Production area ? This has been the (highly questionable) situation in some previous related threads.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2021 - 05:15 PM

A) you need a plan to manage management and QA/QC movement (you all go everywhere)

B) Can you issue smocks specifically for the maintenance area

Maintenance shops can have a negative impact, and should be incorporated in your form 4 and combined 8

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Bansal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:49 PM

It's going to depend on the specific setup of your plant, what your requirements are, what your risk assessment has determined for protective clothing etc., but at face value the idea of wearing factory clothing in a maintenance area and then presumably wearing the same clothes to go directly back into the production area is something that would make me very nervous.

Is the maintenance area kept to the same standard of hygiene as the production areas? Is maintenance not the maintenance not likely to be undertaking activities of a sort that would generate (lots of) potential foreign bodies, of a sort that you definitely don't want to be carried back into production areas on the outside of the clothing? For example, it's really easy to lean against a work surface covered in metal filings, pick a load of them up on the back of your coat, and spread them everywhere you then walk.

Even if you allowed the clothing to be worn in maintenance but insisted on a change before re-entering production, it seems to me that this would be very difficult to control/police.

Thanks pHruit for quick response. Technically maintenance workshop is not part of production, Although one door opens in the production but closed buy roll up door which always remain close all the time. However, when i asked General manager not to go in maintenance workshop with uniform-she argued that maintenance team always go with same uniform (as we have blue uniform for maintenance team and they wear blue uniform when they start their day and before leaving the facility they change. I told her that maintenance team is not in direct contact with food, she said i am also not in direct contact with food, i just go for round and instruct people.

Now i am worried how to implement as she has her own points.

Please advise.

Thanks again!!

Bansal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2021 - 06:54 PM

Just as an extension of Post2, is the "workshop" situated within the Production area ? This has been the (highly questionable) situation in some previous related threads.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for quick response- Not really, but one opening is in production which has been closed by roll up door and roll up door remains close all the time except any emergency.

just explained whole situation above-please let me know how to handle this.

Thanks again!!

Bansal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 December 2021 - 07:36 PM

A) you need a plan to manage management and QA/QC movement (you all go everywhere)

B) Can you issue smocks specifically for the maintenance area

Maintenance shops can have a negative impact, and should be incorporated in your form 4 and combined 8

thanks Scampi for quick response!

Maintenance has their separate uniform and they go every where wearing this uniform.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:32 PM

Hi Charles,

Thanks for quick response- Not really, but one opening is in production which has been closed by roll up door and roll up door remains close all the time except any emergency.

just explained whole situation above-please let me know how to handle this.

Thanks again!!

Hi Namishka,

IMEX it particularly relates to the comments in Post2 (eg risk assessment) and also as to what kind of products are involved ?, (eg RTE invariably has its own specific requirements).

Having a workshop directly adjacent to a Production area is always likely to require close attention to any shared traffic routes/contamination potentials. My experience has mostly been with Low Risk products/segregated Engg. section and uniform clothing except in obvious contamination situations, eg stripping compressors down.

The typical "control" problem for routine maintenance workers is that they have to continually go everywhere which tends to demand some flexibility requirements on uniforms. Scampi's option B is one compromise.

Auditors have similar problems. :smile:

Edited by Charles.C, 06 December 2021 - 08:40 PM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:03 PM

The process people flow is designed to address this very thing

you cannot bar your GM from entering any area of the plant. 

So you need a process to cover this hazard.  Can management change smocks, or remove them and hang them outside before entering?  You need a solution that will actually work, or you will be fighting this one forever

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Bansal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:38 PM

The process people flow is designed to address this very thing

you cannot bar your GM from entering any area of the plant. 

So you need a process to cover this hazard.  Can management change smocks, or remove them and hang them outside before entering?  You need a solution that will actually work, or you will be fighting this one forever

Thanks Scampi for wonderful idea!

Bansal

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 82 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 December 2021 - 08:42 PM

Hi Namishka,

IMEX it particularly relates to the comments in Post2 (eg risk assessment) and also as to what kind of products are involved ?, (eg RTE invariably has its own specific requirements).

Having a workshop directly adjacent to a Production area is always likely to require close attention to any shared traffic routes/contamination potentials. My experience has mostly been with Low Risk products/segregated Engg. section and uniform clothing except in obvious contamination situations, eg stripping compressors down.

The typical "control" problem for routine maintenance workers is that they have to continually go everywhere which tends to demand some flexibility requirements on uniforms. Scampi's option B is one compromise.

Auditors have similar problems. :smile:

Thanks Charles ... we are a bakery, making bread stored at ambient temp.

Thanks again for  clearing my doubt :)!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users