Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:46 AM

So I have been tasked with bringing not one, but TWO plants (simultaneously!) up to BRC speed.  One is a re-cert so marginally easier, but I thikn this job is going to make me an alcoholic.  

I digress. 

Anyway - for BRC 3.1.3 with work instructions - are we required to have work instructions for every single job position?  Are they required to be documented, or is oral and/or hands on training sufficient?  

I appreciate your time, I'll probably have a bunch more questions as I wallow deeper into this... mess.  

Thanks!  

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:32 AM

section 3.1 in my summary :"do you have a manual, is it implemented, is it adequate? "  Not to down play this sections importance, but it is kinda a after the fact clause. 

Your question is really covered in other sections.   

You would need a job description for each position. enough to show the responsibilities of the position.   see 1.2.2

in brc work insptructions are more task based and nott position based.  

You would also need a documented procedure / work instruction for all  tasks that effect quality and food safety.   

there would need to be training needed for each task.    see 7.1

training could be hands on, but the procedure would have to be documented as well as the training record.      

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 104 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2021 - 02:11 PM

There are a few ways to handle this. IMO it comes down to your work culture and how management interacts with employees. If you are just implementing BRC this is the time where you need employee / management "buy in" or you will be having issues as you get more involved. When I had to make work instructions for say production line, I went to the production lead and explained what I needed done and said just tell me what you do step by step from when you get to work till you go home. I wrote their work instructions based on what they actually said. This also helps when the auditors interview employees during the walk thru. This is essentially getting them involved, making their voice heard (buy in) and makes it easier when you realize you need them to change something or a process that they already have a habit of doing. I did this with all aspects relating to our flow chart (process steps) and it keeps growing till eventually you sit down with senior management and write the instructions for culture and your confidential reporting policy. Sounds overwhelming, just start with your first process step typically receiving and get it documented and move on to the next.

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

sperez730

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 December 2021 - 12:44 AM

Revisiting this as it also appears in 6.1.1.  

Last year's auditor accepted product specifications, metal detector program, foreign material risk assessment, etc. as acceptance for work instructions for 6.1.1. 

This plant has no documented work instructions other than vague programs (i.e., words taken from the code directly) and oral instructions.  

Thoughts?  

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:21 AM

Craft shop or industrial plant? It's about the maturity of business. BRC doesn't care. If the documentation is primitive but it works for a small site, BRC auditors would regconise this and raise conformities. I appreciate BRC certification programmes by this matter.

Edited by beautiophile, 10 December 2021 - 01:22 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 104 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 December 2021 - 02:27 PM

sperez- only thoughts on this: last years audit was last years audit. Know your programs and know the code. Write and create your policies so you have no doubt you are meeting the code. Advice: if you are going off of last years auditor / experience,  ask your CB who your auditor is. If its the same auditor then I would roll with what you have in place, if not do an Internal Audit on clauses you you question and update as needed. I have had completely different auditors from the same CB and have learned to not go off previous audits- I did once and the response from the auditor was "this is a snapshot in time, must of missed it last year." 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users