• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do Food Safety Signs and Posters need to be document controlled?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Brendar4024

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

Our company has a lot of food safety sign/GMP posters and signs located in our facility. Do they need to have a document control number and date?  Can we use a date only or do we not need that at all.  We are SQF Certified and were unsure if we could get caught up with a controlled versus uncontrolled documentation situation.

Thank you,

Brenda

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:11 PM

Hi Brenda, welcome to the forum! I don't think signs/posters are documents - thus, they don't need any signoffs or version numbers, dates, etc. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2021 - 05:54 PM

Hi Brenda, welcome to the forum! I don't think signs/posters are documents - thus, they don't need any signoffs or version numbers, dates, etc. 

I agree.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendar4024

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:04 PM

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Brenda

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:25 AM

So how do you/people/OSHA know if it's the current version on the wall ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

So how do you/people/OSHA know if it's the current version on the wall ??

OK, good point, but on the other hand - how do everybody know that the date or version number indicates that this poster is current? Say, there was no changes/updates on OSHA or safety regulations, and the date on the poster is old (e.g. 2018), but information is current. Should QA or whoever responsible update those dates to demonstrate this poster is still current? It's a heck lot of work, isn't it? 

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 104 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2021 - 03:05 PM

Master document list keeps track of current versions / dates so whoever does your document control would do that. Internal audits would help make sure the right documents are given to employees or hung on the wall. Food Safety / Personnel Safety is a ton of work! 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2021 - 03:21 PM

Master document list keeps track of current versions / dates so whoever does your document control would do that. Internal audits would help make sure the right documents are given to employees or hung on the wall. Food Safety / Personnel Safety is a ton of work! 

Now, you're talking about documented policies/procedures like, for instance, Visitor Policy, right? That is different from sings - like, say, "DO NOT ENTER. AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY" or something similar. Both are hung on the wall, however when the first one does need a date, the latter does not.

TylerJones

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 104 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 December 2021 - 04:20 PM

No- I'm talking about any company document or resource poster such as what Charles C mentioned. 

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2021 - 04:36 PM

Initial question was about "food safety sign/GMP posters and signs" I'm attaching some samples of food safety signs and GMP posters. Do you think, they need to be dated?

Attached Files

Duncan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2021 - 04:58 PM

If the content of the signs/posters includes any kind of instruction that forms part of your QMS, I would think it would be necessary to apply version control. It's also a good idea to maintain a list of locations where any signs have been put on display (with version references) so that if you update the signs in the future you can account for previous versions and replace with updated copies.

I have personally seen a food manufacturer get a non-conformity at BRCGS audit because the Food Safety and Quality Policy on display in one of the canteens was a superseded version.

FOOD PORTAL - The web portal dedicated to the food industry

Food Portal provides a range of systems and tools for food manufacturers.

Resource Library - Culture Survey - Confidential Reporting - Supplier Directory - Blog

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:05 PM

If the content of the signs/posters includes any kind of instruction that forms part of your QMS, I would think it would be necessary to apply version control. It's also a good idea to maintain a list of locations where any signs have been put on display (with version references) so that if you update the signs in the future you can account for previous versions and replace with updated copies.

I have personally seen a food manufacturer get a non-conformity at BRCGS audit because the Food Safety and Quality Policy on display in one of the canteens was a superseded version.

Hi Duncan,

I agree and would anticipate that most of OP's Posters would "by definition" be part of the FSMS  although I must admit to having seen many Safety/HACCP related Posters/Banners on Production floors which were simply that, ie  unversioned. And were afaik auditor uncommented.

I daresay that GFSI (rightly or wrongly) is perhaps less "stringent" on documentation as compared to, say, ISO9001 (or OSHA ?).

I guess a Policy Statement is a rather attractive/easy target. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users