Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 December 2021 - 03:23 PM

Say we make a batch of a liquid food color and we come out with a few pounds extra. If we took this extra color, saved it, and added it to a different batch of the same finished product (where the liquid food color itself is the finished product just to clarify), would this constitute rework?

Rework definition is: Food, materials, and ingredients, including work-in progress that has left the normal production flow and requires action to be taken on it before it is acceptable for release and is suitable for reuse within the process. 

My only issue is "action to be taken before it's acceptable for release". In this case, no action is technically taken or needed. It is just added to a separate identical batch and not altered in any way.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:11 PM

I would still consider it re-work. OR, it could be a batch with a double lot number.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2021 - 04:52 PM

Hi, I don't know your standards but it looks like rework according to BRCGS. If it’s an accidental surplus I’d manage it under concession to ensure all traceability is maintained. If it’s a common thing, then I’d add a HACCP plan step to assess risks.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,540 posts
  • 1519 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

out of curiosity, why not just make more finished goods at the time?  then you avoid this situation altogether?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Alex V.

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 January 2022 - 06:22 PM

To answer your question directly: Yes.  This would be considered rework.  The main reason behind rework code elements are to ensure that the rework is properly recorded and traceable.  So long as you are able to trace the rework into the new finished product then you should be fulfilling most code requirements.

I'm curious why you feel the need to mix it with another batch?  If the product fits all specifications then why not code it for the day that you made it and sell it as is? If the leftover product is in some way deficient in quality aspects that can be recovered by reworking it then rework makes sense.  Otherwise I question the motivation for blending it into a future batch.  Of course I'm not familiar with the product in general, so maybe there's another reason to perform this kind of rework.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jreynolds234

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 January 2022 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the responses. In regards to the motivation on making extra, it's just simply that we always make a few pounds extra to ensure we fulfill the order requirement and also to account for spillage. In the past we have always discarded this extra as its generally only a few pounds and not enough to resell on its own or do anything with. This is obviously sub optimal so that's why I posed the question. 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 04 January 2022 - 04:41 PM

Yes rework; need to account for traceability and assess potential hazards.

Also, if you keep reworking the leftovers into the next batch you'll never truly end up "non-reworked" product.  I would look at not doing it on every batch, but rather maybe one batch a week where all leftovers are reworked into the batch.  This helps with traceability and provides a break.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 09 January 2022 - 03:57 PM

Hello,

yes! re-work! Don´t forget to add it in the HACCP flow chart (and its corresponding hazard analisis); and if you are under IFS, a spec shall be determined,

best regrds,

Leila

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users