• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is there a guide to how Food Packaging Regulations fit together?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic
- - - - -

Sharon (Dewsbury)

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 71 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2022 - 11:34 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been asked about the Migration, and Heavy Metals by our customer. We convert board to food contact packaging . Our supplier has supplied a compliance with 1935/2004 & 2023/2006 declaration. I can see that this covers hazardous migration components and GMP but not specifically Heavy Metals. IS the 1935/2004 an umbrella reg that covers every thing?

Is there a guide to how these regulations relate to each other please. Like a family tree? As we are cardboard we do not need to comply with the 10/2011 for plastic so compliance with the 1935/2004 (general migration) is enough.

The other query I have is that The Heavy Metal Directive 94/62/EC is concerned with waste disposal as well as migration. If the material has low heavy metals & complies with food contact migration, is it a given that it is low enough to comply with the waste limits?

Thank you

rroblesjr

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:32 AM

Hi Sharon.

Try to compare the food packaging materials with heavy metals components migration to the environment with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and other International Agency for Research on Cancer.

These agencies review and provide an analysis of their environmental occurrence, production and use, the potential for human exposure, and molecular mechanisms of toxicity, genotoxicity, and carcinogenicity.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users