• 67 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:32 AM

Hi Food Safety Team

Happy New Year to all.  

I require some assistance regarding HACCP Studies.

How do you decide how may studies you should have in your factory.

If your scope of the business is "Manufacture, (blending) and packing of dry and liquids product"

Will appreciate your input on this.

Kind Regards

Take care and be safe

Zargham Abbas

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:Food Safety, Food Microbiology, Certifications, Quality Management, HACCP, Pest Management, Allergens Handling and Management, Meat Processing, Bakery and Confectionary.

Posted 25 January 2022 - 10:48 AM

Hi, 

Good day, 

If you elobrate the scope of business i.e (Nature of product etc), it will be easy for everyone to undersatnd the question and provide valuable inputs.

If you are producing many products with same products and same process flow and hazards are same at each process step, then one study is enough. If ingredients/process/hazard is varying from product to product, its better to have HACCP study for all products separately.

Regards,

Zargham Abbas

Halal, ISO & Food Safety Consultant

Kelpack

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:59 PM

All manufacturing and packing of savoury dry product (consisting of spices, herbs, wheat as raw material) however there are different pack size packed in vertical form fill and seal packing machines.

The wet section consist of blending and packing of liquid (syrup, jams, butter)

In my assignment I have done the following 

So currently the HACCP study is broken down in 5 studies ie:

HACCP 1 - Receiving, 

HACCP 2 - Pre-batch

HACCP 3 - Blending

HACCP 4 - Packing 

HACCP 5 - Dispatch 

However I am also considering changing it and take all this steps and include it in one process flow

So the HACCP Process Flow will include REceiving, pre-batching, blending, packing, dispatch

Hope this is clear as mud.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,521 posts
  • 1516 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:09 PM

I would have 2 HACCP plans for the processing----------you can use the same flow for receiving and shipping for both for incoming and outgoing and then split it for wet vs dry

Alot of the hazards will apply to both plans, so you can copy and paste where it makes sense to do so, but you will have additional hazards in relation to the wet side of the business

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kelpack

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:30 AM

Thank  You,  I agree totally.

However I need to justify to the auditor regarding previous declaration as 6 HACCP studies and currently declare 2 studies.  Not sure how this will go with the auditor.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,521 posts
  • 1516 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:11 PM

As long as you've documented all your changes in your LOG and performed a thorough hazard analysis, only a thick auditor would have an issue

Any food safety program is a living breathing thing..........you just need to write it down!!

For example, we put in a brand new machine this past year that changed our HACCP plan significantly (as new technology will often do)  It took 5 months in total to update just the basics of the HACCP plan, every single step has been documented, do I expect the auditor to nit pick, sure, do I expect to be told it isn't good enough, no I do not..........I know our process and equipment better than the auditor.  What I do expect is to know the plans in and out so i can help the auditor understand  (we've got a nit picker for an auditor this year, but they have not met me yet---I'm not afraid to push when I know I'm right)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Kelpack

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 27 January 2022 - 06:46 AM

Thanks for your response, I feel a bit brave now. 

I was thinking in the same lines of making it 2 studies, do we need to complete a management of change report.  I am just trying to fill out all the gaps to ensure  there is no findings.

Faith S

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:40 PM

Hi,

I also think you have 2 HACCP studies, one for wet products and one for dry products. Just be confident to explain to the auditor.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users