Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 125 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 January 2022 - 06:54 PM

We are a very small dry blending company - roughly 10,000 ft. I have gone back & forth as to what I need to do for inspections. We were given "best practice" advice to use the same form (SQF Checklist Module 11) for our inspections - we were already using it for Internal Audit.  Completing this quarterly seems redundant. We have both and inspection & internal audit scheduled for Jan/Feb.

Can/should I use it  to cover both? We also do daily "End of the day checklist" - can this be the inspection? 

2.5.4.3 - we also have a monthly PM schedule. 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 27 January 2022 - 07:25 PM

Hello!  As I see it an 'inspection' is generally making sure things were completed that were set to be completed/things are at a point where they were agreed to be.  For example, you can do a pre-op/daily inspection to check that cleanliness is adequate per your programs/risk/etc.  Another example is you are inspecting incoming pallets to ensure they are clean and free of debris and would not add risk to your facility.

Internal Audits are more in-depth auditing of your facility, programs, documents to make sure you are following the standard that you would be audited to, such as SQF, BRC, etc.  Most standards, I believe, require that you audit the program in it's entirety at least annually.  I typically break audits down into 3 primary audits, a facility audit, a document audit and a standard audit.  

Basically, you have to make the decision on how you want to handle inspections vs. audits, make sure your programs are aligned and documented as such and make sure you can justify your decision and can back it up when audited.  Hope this helps and I hope I was understanding your questions correctly.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:27 PM

the internal audit covers your entire program and should be done annually.   (2.5.4.1 and 2.5.4.2)

then, you need to have a regular inspection of the plant for the gmps, physical, sanitation, ect (2.5.4.3)   It sounds like you have this covered.  

I also use the audit check lists to create the audit check list for the internal audit and  "regular inspection".   There are items in 11 that I do not think are required for the "regular inspection but are intended for the internal audit.  For instance, on the "regular inspection" I might look at the water system for anything that looks wrong.   However, the review of internal water testing and water reports I would cover in the internal audit.   Or, for equipment and utensils I would check the condition and design of equipment on the "regular inspection"  but would review specifications for equipment during the internal audit.   

on the flip side, I wouldn't inspect the floors, walls drains on the internal audit if they were being done monthly on the "regular inspection".

To make it more confusing.   Food Defense, Allergens, etc are in section 2.    It seems to me like parts of these should also be included on a "regular inspection"  

I also encourage the use of the checklists for developing audits and "regular inspections".   They ensure you are not missing anything.    However you also need to be aware of what the goal of the audit / inspection is to ensure they are meeting their intended purpose and yet not being over burdensome.  

Hope that helps - 

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:33 PM

I have two schedules I use: My Internal Audit schedule that breaks out all areas of the code (2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc.) and a review schedule that addresses documents and required exercises throughout the facility. The second assures all monitoring, testing and exercises are carried out at least annually, or at their required frequency.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users