Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 February 2022 - 03:56 PM

We are a fruit packinghouse and under the SQF Food Safety Code - Primary Plant Production.  I was under the impression that the ambient air testing was applicable to high risk areas/processes.  However, section 10.6.5.3 states "Ambient air shall be tested at least annually to confirm that it does not pose a risk to food safety."

Do I need to throw out a couple of plates for TPC to satisfy this?  Do I create a risk justification as to why it is not applicable?

I'd love to hear from anyone else in Primary Plant Production as to how they handled it.

Thank you!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 February 2022 - 04:01 PM

We are a fruit packinghouse and under the SQF Food Safety Code - Primary Plant Production.  I was under the impression that the ambient air testing was applicable to high risk areas/processes.  However, section 10.6.5.3 states "Ambient air shall be tested at least annually to confirm that it does not pose a risk to food safety."

Do I need to throw out a couple of plates for TPC to satisfy this?  Do I create a risk justification as to why it is not applicable?

I'd love to hear from anyone else in Primary Plant Production as to how they handled it.

Thank you!

Hi Food Chick,

I think there is a previous related SQF thread (somewhere).

Knowing SQF I anticipate one Plate probably enough but the next question will likely be - Limit ? (what species in the air will pose a risk to Safety?). Possibly a(nother) SQF trick question.

Edited by Charles.C, 04 February 2022 - 04:10 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:47 PM

It's the same for food manufacturers

11.7 Separation of Functions

11.7.1 High-Risk Processes

11.7.1.1 The processing of high-risk food shall be conducted under controlled conditions, such that sensitive areas, in which the high-risk food has undergone a “kill” step, a “food safety intervention” or is subject to post-process handling, are protected/segregated from other processes, raw materials, or staff who handle raw materials, to ensure cross-contamination is minimized.

11.7.1.2 Ambient air in high-risk areas shall be tested at least annually to confirm that it does not pose a risk to food safety.

And the guidance

Ambient Air Testing Edition 9 Guidance Document

2 There are a number of sampling and testing methods available commercially depending on the need, all of which can be applied by trained technicians within the site. The SQF requirement (11.7.1.2) is for annual air testing in high-risk processing areas, i.e., rooms or areas where food is subject to physical or microbiological contamination or growth.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 February 2022 - 07:06 AM

Hi Food Chick,

I think there is a previous related SQF thread (somewhere).

Knowing SQF I anticipate one Plate probably enough but the next question will likely be - Limit ? (what species in the air will pose a risk to Safety?). Possibly a(nother) SQF trick question.

Hi Food Chick,

Assuming not a trick question and "Quality" is substitutable for "Safety", can try a Settle plate/APC should give result not > 30 cfu / cm2 / week

For justification of limit see the excel, sheets 1,2 and file sh1 in this Post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ent/#entry81054

There are a few typical findings here and there mostly, IIRC, in the 20-50s range although most quoted values have no units attached, eg -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ion/#entry64093

If you are interested in the deeper aspects possible the 1st thread above may be worth studying further. :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Labby

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 February 2022 - 11:29 PM

i run the environmental program at my food plant. we process fruit. 

we do biannual air plates. 

i have 9 locations (this will be based on size of plant/risk)  that i set up passive ( just place the pre poured plate in a locations) and let it sit of 15 min +/- 2 min . the incubate for 5 days . we do Yeast and mold on aPDA. 

our limit is <500

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 February 2022 - 07:08 AM

i run the environmental program at my food plant. we process fruit. 

we do biannual air plates. 

i have 9 locations (this will be based on size of plant/risk)  that i set up passive ( just place the pre poured plate in a locations) and let it sit of 15 min +/- 2 min . the incubate for 5 days . we do Yeast and mold on aPDA. 

our limit is <500

Hi Labby,

Thks for the input. The limit looks quite high.

What is the Unit for the 500 ? If only a direct count per plate, what is the diameter of the Plate ?

Does yr limit simply come from "experience"  ? eg yr results are typically in the 400 - 500 XYZ unit range ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Labby

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2022 - 03:09 PM

Hi Labby,

Thks for the input. The limit looks quite high.

What is the Unit for the 500 ? If only a direct count per plate, what is the diameter of the Plate ?

Does yr limit simply come from "experience"  ? eg yr results are typically in the 400 - 500 XYZ unit range ?

unit CFU. standard 100x15 mm 

the 15 min came from cooperate as "industry standard"

while we do our in house so we do not seal the petri dished, this is a good example of a method: https://afltexas.com...structions.pdf 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users