Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2022 - 03:57 PM

I'm working in a start-up that is beginning to scale-up production of food ingredients (extracted from plants) to commercial quantities, using rented space and equipment.  We want to validate our food safety procedures by seeking external certification, but it seems that most of the leading global standards (BRC, FSSC 22000, IFXS and SQF) are designed for established manufacturers with their own factories and a significant history of continuous production.  Is there a standard that is suitable for a start-up, within which we can grow as our production becomes more established?  

Are there any other start-ups out there with experience of seeking independent food safety certification?

Thanks

Iain

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:14 PM

Hi Iain, welcome to our forum! I think you misinterpret GFSI codes thinking that they're designed for manufacturers having their own factories and significant history of continuous production. That's not stated in there - at least, in FSSC22000. I would personally recommend this scheme as it's not that strict and more vague than other schemes. But that's my opinion - let's see what other members would suggest.

Thanked by 1 Member:

iptmocean

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2022 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the response Olenazh.  I've been through IFS, BRC and FSSC with bigger companies and my impression was that they really worked best with established production processes.  That may be just the auditors that we worked with, but I felt that we were actively discouraged from including early-stage products.  I agree, though, that the FSSC seemed to be more flexible so may be the most suitable for us.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Lorem Ipsum

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:21 PM

Thanked by 1 Member:

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 09 February 2022 - 05:39 PM

Hey iptmocean,

Many of the companies that I have worked with use SQF and I would argue that you can get the most bang for your buck there.  Sure you need a few months of time to get some records together but if you jump the gun and go with something cheaper than you are just going to have to run it all over again when you go to SQF or AIB or some other body.  Develop a program based on SQF (or whatever program you like) and then when you have the time and records and experience under your belt then apply for certification.  It will take a while for you to get on their books anyway and by that time you will have even more experience and records.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

dfreund

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 87 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 February 2022 - 02:13 PM

Tie down all of the GMPs first and become HACCP and PCQI certified. Through this you will notice all of the pertinent parts to develop in your Food Safety System

By the time you get through this, you will recognize the GFSI paradigm that fits your needs.  To a great degree you should choose the paradigm on what your custom,er base requires or prefers.

I have attached a good checklist from Pennsylvania regulatory authorities for your startup to handle GMPs categorically. A good way to know what you may not know.

Good fortunes!

Dave

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users