• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2022 - 10:29 AM

Good morning All,

I would like to get what everyone's take regarding verification of Traceability systems from suppliers of raw materials.

Does a supplier having an ISO 9001 accreditation enough for verification? 

Kind Regards,

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 25 February 2022 - 02:03 PM

It's ok with us if our suppliers have either GFSI, or 3rd party audit cert, or completed questionnaire. ISO 9001 is not recognized by GFSI - however, I think it still could be acceptable.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,074 posts
  • 850 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 February 2022 - 03:26 PM

From your previous posts, I'm assuming you're looking at this from the perspective of BRC requirements?

If so, it's an outright "no" - the standard would require a traceability exercise at least every three years if the supplier isn't certified to one of the standards with GFSI recognition.

In general I don't think ISO9001 explicitly requires traceability of the type expected for food products, so even without the BRC requirement I'd expect to need to verify this separately.

Duncan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 16 thanks
Good

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:37 AM

Recognition - MyGFSI This is a reference for all GFSI-recognised standards, so it's practical to consider any accreditation that does not appear here unsuitable for approval - so in the absence of a GFSI-recognised standard you would need to audit the supplier or (for low risk suppliers only) use questionnaires in combination with a documented risk assessment justifying that the supplier is low risk.

As a generalisation, I find it preferable to stick to suppliers with GSFI-benchmarked certification.

FOOD PORTAL - The web portal dedicated to the food industry

Food Portal provides a range of systems and tools for food manufacturers.

Resource Library - Culture Survey - Confidential Reporting - Supplier Directory - Blog

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:08 AM

I have had several suppliers who are ISO9001 certified that do not understand traceability. Unfortunately some materials that are supplied do not come within the scope of GFSI Standards.so you have to use them.

They can normally do a backwards trace, but often have no concept of what forwards traceability is and if you say mass balance to them it is just a blank look.

If they are not GFSI you will need to set up your own test with them, explaining very clearly what you want to get out of it.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:32 AM

Good morning All,

I would like to get what everyone's take regarding verification of Traceability systems from suppliers of raw materials.

Does a supplier having an ISO 9001 accreditation enough for verification? 

Kind Regards,

Hi NHer,

Your type of business may be relevant ??.

Assuming you are referring to BRC8 for Food, clause 3.5.1.2, I suggest you study the relevant text plus acquire, if not already done, the BRC Interpretation Guidelines.

The IG amplify the above clause's quite detailed exposition of the options available for supplier approval with respect to alternative audit Standards etc.

Note that the risk assessment of raw material and supplier are both relevant to the possible choices of response style.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users