Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 269 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2022 - 05:02 PM

Is there anything in writing about what can and can not be stored in an employees locker?

We currently have a no food policy.

Someone has deodorant in there locker and was told they couldn't have it, but I can find no written policy anywhere about what is actually allowed or not.
Is it up to each company? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 March 2022 - 05:18 PM

No food/drink because it attracts pests

Otherwise, no issues with the contents (obvs exceptions are those that do not comply with company policy (drugs/weapons etc)

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 07 March 2022 - 05:24 PM

Yes, we also have no food policy.  What harm would deodorant do? As soon [long?] as it's not brought to the production, to me it would be fine. What is really not fine is: rotten shoes, dirty underwear, old socks with their own developed ecosystem, and some other unsavory stuff - that would concern me more than a can of deodorant...

Edited by Charles.C, 10 March 2022 - 09:39 PM.
edited

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 210 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 March 2022 - 06:19 PM

We don't allow food, glass or brittle plastics of any kind, drugs (but some days I can smell THAT rule is being ignored, catch me a whiff of the devil's lettuce...), etc.   We have taken to doing a locker clean out the last Friday of every month.   So they take their stuff with them Thursday night, or we throw away whatever we find in there.

So for me unfortunately plastic would kill the deodorant thing most likely.  

Edited by MDaleDDF, 07 March 2022 - 06:19 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 07 March 2022 - 07:44 PM

It is up to each company. I would advice no food, simply because of the pest potential.

-Setanta         

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 March 2022 - 05:54 PM

I would advise also restricting company property and hairnets, beardnets, sleeves, gloves, etc.  An auditor will question how you prevent those items from being used in the facility if they are found.

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2022 - 05:17 PM

As you can tell, the SQF Code does not put this in writing - so it is up to you to decide what to control and how - based on risk.  There are no specific rules on this from the USDA or FDA either. 

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

MMorse

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 1 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:24 PM

We just had a customer audit, and they found lotion in a locker, and made a big deal about it - worried that the fragrance would get into the product, and it was unscented.  We make concentrated flavors.  Operators make dozens of different flavors each day - should we make them change uniforms after each flavor?  Auditor's seem to have lost common sense.  Lot's of auditors are against medicine in lockers.  If you insist no medicine in lockers, people who have to take medicine during the shift may put it in their pocket.  I would rather have it in their locker (not in the production area) than in their pocket where it could fall out and get in the product. 

Auditors need to find at least a few issues, otherwise they are not looking hard enough.  The problem is when a petty issues is called out, then have to create a Corrective and Preventive Action (like a new policy that deodorant is not allowed in lockers, and everybody signs off).  Then the next auditor finds deodorant in a different locker, who may not care that you have deodorant in lockers, but now it is in your policy so you get dinged again.  And if the persons who brings in deodorant because they need it, their body order is probably worse the the fragrance from unscented lotion that our auditor dinged us on!

If you are an Auditor, please don't read this:  We wash our hands a lot.  To help prevent skin from getting dry, cracking and providing harborage to bacteria, we use hand soap with Aloe and Vitamin E!  There is no detectable odor after rinsing and drying.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,522 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 March 2022 - 07:33 PM

Auditors are creating a mess for themselves.............much smoother if no one is wincing just thinking about the nonsense the auditor is going to ask for

We have commercial hand lotion on the floor-for before and after work........it's put on AFTER hands are washed

What is the auditors beef with the lockers???  If they are not inside the production room, and inspected from time to time, who cares what's in there (as long as you're not an allergen free facility obvs)

I just do not understand how deodorant or lotion in a locker is ANY different that what someone brings for lunch ---all employees are to wash their hands when coming into production----there is no risk

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 82 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2022 - 09:41 PM

We have commercial hand lotion on the floor-for before and after work........it's put on AFTER hands are washed

Can you attach a link for that commercial grade hand lotion?  I think that would be very welcome at my facility.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 March 2022 - 09:52 PM

Auditors may have been instructed/trained that where a risk assessment is "difficult" simply take a worst case scenario.

It might be easier for Policy to state what is allowed in lockers and that any other things need approval from XYZ. (ie pass the buck and create an ever-expandable list).

I think the most unfortunate case I have experienced was theft from a locker of a savings account passbook. Cleaned out before action was initiated.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Cathy

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 280 posts
  • 44 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 March 2022 - 09:56 PM

Risk assessments are a good way to avoid bouncing around based on auditor preferences.  Make sure any documented assessment is objective.  Set out to show if something is a hazard or not...don't write a document just to prove one case.  Consider both sides logically. An auditor can take away points if you broke a rule or if they can demonstrate they observed risk.  You can (and should) appeal a finding if you truly disagree. 

Cathy Crawford, HACCP Consulting Group
http://haccpcg.com/

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users