Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 March 2022 - 03:57 PM

11.6.4.1 Hazardous chemicals and toxic substances with the potential for food contamination shall be:
i. Clearly labeled, identifying and matching the contents of their containers;

Does a mop bucket that is currently in use need to be labeled with it's contents?

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:05 PM

I'm going to follow this post - I've been doing SQF since it started and never been asked for this by an auditor, good question!

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,615 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:23 PM

I would presume t that if it going to be unattended for any length of time (including breaks) that yes, it might be good to label it.

Excellent question!

-Setanta         

Rick Reyes

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 March 2022 - 04:41 PM

Good morning, since OSHA is the governing agency in the USA for workplace safety, the standard for OSHA is what is followed. OSHA would consider a mop bucket as a secondary container  and their labeling requirements would dictate that as long as the container is under your direct control then no label is required. OSHA defines direct control in this case as within your line of sight. Most janitorial products include a label when purchased by the case, the second option is to dispose of the cleaner solution when not within your line of sight.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 861 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 March 2022 - 04:16 PM

Good morning, since OSHA is the governing agency in the USA for workplace safety, the standard for OSHA is what is followed. OSHA would consider a mop bucket as a secondary container  and their labeling requirements would dictate that as long as the container is under your direct control then no label is required. OSHA defines direct control in this case as within your line of sight. Most janitorial products include a label when purchased by the case, the second option is to dispose of the cleaner solution when not within your line of sight.

man that's a good answer.   The question had me thinking.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Infodolphin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 March 2022 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I figured that leaving the mop buckets unattended for an extended amount of time would warrant a label. However, I wasn't sure about just a mop bucket in general as it was brought up during an internal inspection. We encourage sanitation employees to not leave mop buckets and cleaning carts unattended  and to dispose of mop bucket content as soon as they are no longer needed.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 March 2022 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I figured that leaving the mop buckets unattended for an extended amount of time would warrant a label. However, I wasn't sure about just a mop bucket in general as it was brought up during an internal inspection. We encourage sanitation employees to not leave mop buckets and cleaning carts unattended  and to dispose of mop bucket content as soon as they are no longer needed.

JFI,

why would a closed mop bucket positioned on the floor have a significant potential for food contamination ?

2 Options

(1) issue a  generic GMP risk assessment. for such awkward, nitpick type queries. >No Label.

(1a) Issue a Policy that mop buckets be emptied immediately after utilization and stored in a defined, isolated location.

(2) Issue a Policy that all buckets/containers must be Labelled. Yippee !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users