Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:19 PM

I am looking into humane pest control options. Does anyone have experience using pest control methods that do not involve killing animals AND that would be acceptable from an FDA inspection/food safety management perspective?

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 11 April 2022 - 06:38 PM

Hi ReenerHo, welcome to the forum. I've personally never heard of such a way of pest control. I mean, how could it be possible to catch a fly without killing it? Well, as for rodents - traps don't kill them, just prevent getting outside. So, I guess if you want to be humane to rodents - you'll need to check traps every day for mice rescue. In domestic environment, that's quite possible, however I doubt your company Management or QA would approve your salvage actions:) One needs to set preferences: save mice or produce safe food, isn't it?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 April 2022 - 07:12 PM

Short answer---yes--seal your plant up tight so it's not an issue (inside the building)

outside? Nope your out of luck

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 288 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2022 - 07:12 AM

I agree with the above posts. The most humane pest control is prevention. This way there is no need to catch or kill pests.
The second most humane is catching and releasing them. Which is probably only possible for large rodents such as rats and mice.
Humane pest control for insects is going to be....impossible.

But if there ever is an infestation your window for humane pest control is gone. Then you need to go the conventional route, and quick.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 April 2022 - 05:29 AM

I am looking into humane pest control options. Does anyone have experience using pest control methods that do not involve killing animals AND that would be acceptable from an FDA inspection/food safety management perspective?

Hi ReenerHo,

Not sure about FDA's viewpoint but Google is helpful, eg -

https://lifehacker.c...work-1847485277

https://www.foodproc...everage-plants/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Rick Reyes

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 April 2022 - 11:53 AM

Good morning ReenerHo, while I understand the objection to lethal pet control and wanting to find a humane solution. I held an IIHS Pest Control License in the state of Oregon for decades (California and Oregon have some of the most Liberal populations in the USA) and over the course of those years had to attend literally thousands of continuous education classes for recertification. In all of my training not one person in three decades brought up a program that balanced the humane aspect of pest control with that of food safety and human safety. The reason that I mention human safety is because I live and work in the Pacific Northwest where Deer Mice are a vector for Hantavirus, the longer the PCO is exposed to fecal matter from these rodents the greater risk to their health  and safety. Remember that these pests are thriving due to an unnatural situation that we have created and just like feral cats and dogs their populations must be kept under control.  I know that you want to be doing what feels right but sometimes that gets in the way for doing what is actually right. Good luck, I hope that you don't feel bad about doing what really has to be done.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users